• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

recommended tools?

BSH

What do y'all recommend for tools to disassemble/repair my M101a1, particularly the lug nuts? I'm just getting started with this, and there's a lot of frozen nuts/screws/joints on this old trailer.
Thanks,

Brian

mangus580

A M101 can be worked on with a basic 1/2" drive socket set. The lugnuts will be the largest size you run across. (dont recall what they are though). If your set goes up to 1.5" you will be all set.

Michael

Spray everything with your favorite penetrating oil once a day for a few days. Using a wire wheel to knock the rust off then spray will speed it up some.

JB

Don't forget that teh left side lugs go in the opposite direction. Otherwise it will be a long long day and a busted shoulder or two. aua

BSH

Thanks for the tips. I haven't found a 1.5" socket in half-inch drive yet - I'm probably not looking in the right places. I do have a 1.5" box-end wrench (trailer ball wrench), but there is just a little too little clearance between the hub & lug nuts for that.

Another hangup is the screws. I was out today trying to get the cover off of the electrical cable connection on the drawbar. I've broken two screwdrivers so far, and not got any of the four screws loose. I've ground down the CARC coating that was over the screws, and I'll give them some more penetrating oil. Any advice for seriously stuck screws?
Thanks,
Brian

JB

Grind and/or drill them out may be your only options for the stuck screws. Good luck. Keep an eye out for military lug wrenches. My Dad has a four point lug that will handle up to the lugs on a 2.5 ton truck.

CGarbee

Standard Budd socket for the lugnuts. The little screws that hold the box over the wiring are best ground and drilled in my experience as they are only sheet metal screws (but when they get rusted, you're stuck so replace them with stainless...).

Hubs, brake shoes, seals, bearings, drums, etc. are all the same as those on a M37 3/4 ton truck (M101/101A1 trailers) so the cross reference on my website for M37's and the list of parts suppliers is useful for the trailer as well.

Swede

You can buy a 3/4 inch socket set pretty cheap at Harbor frieght. That should cover all your sizes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks