• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A better starter,12 or 24v

rsh4364

Mean Green Starters and alts.I just got an email they have starters in 12 and 24v,pricey but look high quality.have to be better than the nearly 125$ china starters..

Last edited:

number364

I like switching to the 12v starters, they're a lot more common and gear reduction starters now a days. though yeah china, but i can afford an extra. and i have encountered some serious problems with faulty 12/24v ballasts

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is a ballast used for?

Our rules require a state listed.

Last edited:

number364

Sorry, new here...

A ballast in this case cuts voltage in an electrical system, kind of like points ignition systems used to have. This case it allows a 12 volt system to be used off of the 24v system - - batteries, charge and start as I'm sure you know. It's the big chunk of metal on the firewall behind air cleaner. 24v comes in one side, 12v out the other, energy being spent into heat.

cpf240

Sorry, new here...

A ballast in this case cuts voltage in an electrical system, kind of like points ignition systems used to have. This case it allows a 12 volt system to be used off of the 24v system - - batteries, charge and start as I'm sure you know. It's the big chunk of metal on the firewall behind air cleaner. 24v comes in one side, 12v out the other, energy being spent into heat.
Sorry, but that resistor bank, or ballast, is *only* used by the glow plug system, and has nothing whatever to do with any other system on these trucks.

number364

Thanks for the clarification, so that the glow plug sys has access to two batteries worth of juice when it calls for it I assume - I just know I've traced some crazy glow plug issues to the resistor bank one time. Mine was 12v already when I bought it in 04, so finding a 24v starter maybe a problem for some, I know you can get brushes and have enough parts to keep that starter forever once you have it hopefully(just got one last year for spare or if I convert) I know when I work peoples trucks with little mechanical knowledge they are overwhelmed with the 12/24 system and rebuilding their starter - either way make sure it has the forward support bracket for sure.

tim292stro

A series resistor (the glow plug ballast resistor) only current limits, the apparent voltage dropped is relative to the current fighting to get through the resistor. Because of this, resistors are terrible regulators for complex systems. You will find that if you add more load after a ballast resistor, that the working voltage for the load will drop. The inverse of going is true as well, and is why if one glow plug fails open, the rest burn out in short order.

Regarding the starter, if you are already current limited, increasing your system voltage will increase your power (power or "watts" is Voltage x Current). In general more voltage translates to higher motor rotation speed, current to torque. And as many a gear reduction starter has done, you can trade speed for torque. Everything else in the chain from battery to flywheel has a part in starting your truck - battery condition and charge, wire condition and size + length, corrosion or wear on contact points. Obviously temperature has a part too, colder batteries can't emit power to a starter as well as warm ones, hot starter motors don't work as well as cool ones, and cold engines are harder to spin than warm ones.

I would recommend keeping both batteries and alternators wired in parallel, but having a dual 12V system - this would double the current available to the starter under 12V keeping your start power the same. If you are hoping to reduce the footprint of your batteries, consider moving to group 31 (roughly half the size of the 6TL battery). This is a modification thread after all...

I have a thread I've been picking at which goes more into electrical system theory and design that might be a good read.

Personally I'm going the other way - all 24V on the XM1027, and for the same reason listed above. For the same power level, the circuits are smaller. I also like that I can break into the medium-duty and heavy-duty, European, and military parts streams with a 24V electrical system.

Last edited:

rsh4364

So did anyone even look at the mean green website? I was kinda excited they have a heavy duty starter in 24v for my 1009,was gonna go 12v but after further research gonna stay with 24v.

tim292stro

I ran one of their HO alternators once, worked for a while - died too soon (6 months). I ended up replacing it with an Ohio Generator alternator, and I've been running that for 5 years under the same conditions on my Toyota pickup. I reserved that comment before since I didn't see how it related to the topic, but now it seems like you're interested in evaluating the company more than the idea.

If you're looking for the 24V starter - just find Delco 28MT or equivalent. They are available in both 12V and 24V, Napa should have it in stock. For something as important as starting the truck, I'd actually recommend going with cheap and easy to find vs. expensive and "reliable", but a pain to find parts for at 8AM on a Sunday... My $0.02

Last edited:

m38inmaine

I had a mean green 12v for a 6.2 civvy suburban, it looked like a standard starter with a mean green sticker on it to me. I had the same results, it crapped out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks