• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Cover / Tarp Life Expectancy

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled the cargo cover off to pressure wash it, and now I am trying to decide whether to leave it off or not. Does anyone know approximately how long these tarps last if you leave them installed? I guess I am mainly wondering how much the sun will deteriorate it, coupled with wear from it flapping around when you are driving.

Also, anyone else who has one purchased on with a cargo cover already installed...I recommend you check the horizontal poles that the inside straps attach to along the top. On mine there are a few places where the straps held moisture and allowed the tubing to rust and expand. Several of the rectangular metal rings on the cover used to secure the straps were also rusted. The cover itself is in great condition though.

armytruck63

I've found that the rubber cord material on the newer vinyl tops gets attacked by sun and ozone first. My truck has too sit outside, so I store the cargo cover inside until I want to use it.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Outside weather doesn't help them any. As much as the cost, and as handy as they are, for some things, I keep mine folded up & stored inside, till I really need it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies, that is probably what I will end up doing. I noticed the rubber cords/bungees are all similar but different lengths. Do they just make these things up as they go, cutting the cord off a spool and attaching ends? That might explain why they are all just a little different length.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the replies, that is probably what I will end up doing. I noticed the rubber cords/bungees are all similar but different lengths. Do they just make these things up as they go, cutting the cord off a spool and attaching ends? That might explain why they are all just a little different length.
I know little about present vehicles, but it sounds like you're referring to "Super Rope" such as:

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rucorforcaco.html
(not the only source for this type of stuff, just one I could find very easily)

Which does just come in spools and you cut it as you want/need/use it.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know little about present vehicles, but it sounds like you're referring to "Super Rope" such as:

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/rucorforcaco.html
(not the only source for this type of stuff, just one I could find very easily)

Which does just come in spools and you cut it as you want/need/use it.
Yep that looks like the stuff. Maybe there is a source for the plastic hooks/clips on the ends so you could make custom or replacements. All of mine look fine so far, no cracks or anything.

jpinst

You can buy the rubber cord in rolls.....its not expensive. The tarps last a long time if they are not getting punted by hot and cold. If you do not need it on, i would leave it off. Its a pain to put back on.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The hooks on the end of the "super cord" should unsnap, or unscrew. So, you may be able to salvage them.
Yeah I was wondering that. I may try to pop one apart if I have one that is in bad shape already. I am going to leave the cover off, at least for a while. There are a few rust spots where the support beams/poles rusted and swelled up so I am going to fix all that first.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks