• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission Help FAST!!!

GTR0419

I need a BIG favor FAST:!:. I need someone with an M1078 running a WTEC III to get me the part number off their Transmission ECU ASAP. Actually, I need as much info off it as possible. Maybe just take a picture of the data sticker for me. Long story short, I think I might be getting ripped-off on a replacement unit.

Thank you!

GTR0419

OK, so getting ripped off might have been a little strong, but don't let anybody tell you the MTV's take a "Special transmission ECU". Allison confirmed to me today that it's not about the ECU, but the programming. Of course there are different ECUs out there, but the one for my LMTV is not some crazy rare model.

Leaning is fun!?!

GTR0419

OK...I'm going to have to write a nice detailed "overview" of the MTV transmission saga at some point. As frustrating as it has been, it has definitely given me some valuable knowledge that will help me and potentially others going forward. For now, just know that the transmission data plate and serial number are NOT the defining factor when it comes to outfitting your MTV (and probably any WTEC equipped vehicle) electronically. You need to take the serial number to Allison/Allison dealer and get a "Registration Information" print out. That will give you the customer part number. Allison can then look that up and tell you how your transmission was set up for a specific vehicle. DO NOT ASSUME ANYTHING BASED ON PRODUCTION DATES, TRANSMISSION SERIAL NUMBERS, or vehicle. There are many different potential set-ups. In the case of my vehicle, the Army actually went backwards rather than updating the transmission electronics. That is, the truck was re-worked in 2007 and the transmission is a WTEC III TID 3 (Gen 3), but was "reverse engineered" to run the old WTEC II. Nobody seems to know why other than possibly trying to use up overstocked parts. It's maddening because Allison had actually stopped making WTEC II parts at that point. It can be converted to a WTEC III, but would require all new harnesses including the internal.

Anyhow...the correct parts are now on order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks