• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Muffler suggestions for 3" single exhaust

I'm looking to get my exhaust replaced with a 3" single setup within a week or so, any suggestions on what muffler to go with? I'm looking for something that will give me the best results in power, fuel mileage, and of course sound, in that order. I've been considering a tubular bullet style muffler that won't get hung up off-road, but I'm not sure how they are performance wise. Any input or advice? Especially you guys that are running this exhaust setup out there. Thanks in advance

61sleepercab

One idea would be to get a Summit Racing catalog and check out what is available. You would not believe how much difference a header muffler only 6 inches long open centered makes on a header dirt tract car. I have had good luck on trucks with straight through mufflers open centered which breath well and last a long time with heavy shells and decent tones. Mark

The Summit catalog is definitely being put to use, and luckily I'm only about 15-20min from their store which makes it easier. I've used the Cherry Bombs on a few cars and trucks years ago, but they were all gassers. I just don't know how they work on a diesel, the 6.2s in particular. I'm also curious how they work on a Cummins since I'm considering that swap in the future.

HETvet

Borla xr-1 straight threw in a 6-18inch length. It's just enough muffler to make it legeal, that's it. When I say it's straight threw, there is nothing inside of it.

rsh4364

moroso spiral flow 94051 is what I used when I added 3" tailpipes to my 1009.Sounds good,runs better,wish I had gone 3.5" though. Mine is still 2.25" back to axle then Up to 3". Still duals.Was just looking at my old youtube vids. and there are still vids on there with audio of the exhaust system to give you an idea on sound.Search rsh4364 then either m1009 cucv exhaust or Big Sexy. (we used to call my 1009 Big Sexy B**ch) lol.

Last edited:
If you want off road clearance, unique sexy aggressive sound and solid construction with great flow (better than Borla) check out a spintech mufflers. http://www.spintechmufflers.com/?ccUser= I had to redo my m1009 when I was stationed at camp Pendleton. The stock set up was leaking really bad and just rusted to heck. I drove my truck out to the shop they have in riverside ca. They did an awesome job.

You might have seen them before, there the rectangular muffler that sits up high. I see a lot of them on race cars, Porsche, dodges, even desert buggies. But it's a crazy internal design. I'm in love with it. Get guys asking me what it is frequently and like the sound. It also gave me noticeable pep on the accelerator. It's like the 09 doesn't hesitate just goes.

Ive had the whole system now for about three years and still love it. It's got a rumble but its well behaved enough as a daily driver. But when I put my foot into it the sound is unmistakeable. I'm deployed right now otherwise I'd take pictures and a video for you to see. But I'm sure if you go to YouTube and look for spintech you'll come up with some stuff.

My buddy loved my set up and wanted to so the same but skipped out last minute to get a set of slowmasters and has regretted it sense. Lol I just laugh at him, well we both laugh about it. Oh well. Ohh and they use aluminized or stainless so no issues with corrosion. I'm out in snow country now up north and still happy. I plan on throwing their set up on my superduty as well.

Goid luck with whatever you get.

Oh forgot your question on how the cummins. We used to have a 5.9 cummins and guess what had spintech mufflers on that one too. Verdict after install and 16 hour road trip you ask? One I love that 5.9 and two the spintech was worth every penny. Told my buddy I was so sold on them if he bought them and didn't like it I'd pay him full price for his whole setup. He loves it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks