• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My update on Gumby project

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, got a lot of little projects donw on the M725 in the past week. Routing vent lines, installing most of the exhaust components, rebuilding the inside of the doors so that the windows rolled up and down, etc. For those who want an exercise in futility, try tearing apart a M35/M37/M725 door. Getting all the screw holes and windows crank/doorhandle crank mounts all lined up is a PITA!

Thanks to oilcan, I finally got a good condition fan shroud for my ride, and that's not an easy part to come by for the -715 series! Installed the fan blade after repainting. One crack which was repaired with a fiberglass kit, and we're set to go. Thanks, oilcan!

Sent my siren off for rebuild by a fellow Steel Solder, quartz. I'll post info on that in a different thread.

Ripped out the old -725 rear compartment heater. I will not be using a gas-fired heater over 40 years old to warm me in the wintertime, after 20 years or more of non-use. Or I might not have a butt to heat.

Solved a mystery in the spraying oil mystery. Every time I installed a new oil filter and I started up the motor, oil would spray everywhere. I found out that this was the result of an old, balled up oil filter gasket being stuck on the filter mounting area, and torqueing down the filter was only mushing itself on the balled-up gasket. So, oil would spray everywhere around the gasket. Removed it and presto! no more problems.

Rebuilt the master cylinder I had, it was very rusty and crappy looking. Below is a pic of the cylinder rebuilt, and of the engine with the fan shroud installed.

Next project: installing the driveshaft (after figuring out why it won't slide open) and having the brakes redone.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Mike:
It looks like the baby is gettting ready to walk again. I am not close enough to come help anytime soon but I hope you are able to post running around the woods pictures soon. Always nice to get work done in the warm weather. The manifold looks like it survived my grinding off the bolts OK is that a stock exhaust or did you make it up as you went?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: My update on Gumby project

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
The manifold looks like it survived my grinding off the bolts OK is that a stock exhaust or did you make it up as you went?
The exhaust are M-715 series pipes, but repro. All the major supply houses are repro-ing the exhaust parts as the NOS ones are long gone. Only part that is not being repro-ed is the exhaust manifold, which is known to crack often. Good thing my manifold was perfect, no cracks.

Don't worry, David - when things progress there are going to be a lot of pics and video of this ride. Especially when it's all repainted and stenciled. My next goal is to have this done by Carlisle, PA show August 3-4.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks