• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bikini on a CUCV

zout

Figured that would get your attention:

Swiss has the SS pipeline get this cut off section to him starting with Warthog - then into WM's hands and whoever else I do not know.

I'll let Swiss explain his project Bikini Topper Conversion to you all - all I am trying to do is make his dream come true (hopefully).

The special application gun is to dispense the 3M Panel Bonding Adhesive - along with their individual application nozzles - doing this any other way is useless as you need these items to mix this stuff.

Pic of his cut off topper section and a start on hacking it up and getting the previous coats of paint off it - then repair it with the latter mentioned product along with re-enforcing the top - you'll see pics of how I going to screw this up.
I'll get a few more pics up tonight of loose area's.DSCN0041.jpgIMG_1754.jpg

zout

3M made this stuff years ago when the Corvette was made in Fiberglass - does that help how long I have worked with the stuff. They had problems bonding the glass and 3M stepped in and invented this product - I have used it for lots of other stuff as well - panels on cars - but you have to know when not to use it as well.

hope this helps (you can put your lower cab corners in with it (hint)

tequilaiam

Somewhere I had pics of two scantily clad chicks wrestling and posing on the hood of a CUCV. Think the IT guy at work removed them. Would have been perfect here!

Also interested in seeing what this project is about. After taking the cap off my '09 the wife finally upgraded her opinon of my truck from hate to mild disdain. Wondering if this project could make her like it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A great number of years ago I stumbled across an M1009 on Ebay. The owner had taken the front of a cap and grafted in to an S318 shelter then chopped a hole in the front of the 318 to make a pass through. Was a blazer chalet made of all mil items. Wished I had saved pics.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am excited :) This project has been in the works for over a year and without the help of the following SS members would not be happening. So first Big SS Salute to the following:

1.) Warthog for the donor top "The Enabler"
2.) Wreckerman for bringing back from Oklahoma all the way to Georgia "Transport Master"
3.) 73M819 for recovery assistance and moral support "The Mechanic"
4.) Zout "The Painter"

Since I can not get a Tank or Hummer per my wife I have to make do with what I have. My love has always been fastbacks particularily mustangs but my current one is a convertible. That being said here is where we are going conceptually.

A slant back convertible M1009. The objective is a easy on/off canvas top for summer and fall that offers protection for the passengers when top off and vehicle in the rain. Top will be off most times driven and should be able to snap on in less than 10 minutes.

The Design
1.) Rollbar over rear seat
2.) Mini Top (work in progress for canvas top snaps and mounting)
3.) Aluminum rails mounted on the the M1009 side rails with snaps
4.) Slantback Canvas Top

This is a picture of the general concept.

Attachments

zout

I know I teased and taunted needlessly and it was heartless I know - but it was the only way to get some folks attention with the Bikini thingy.
Its all in jest but please do not post stuff up that gets our thread locked down and I can get myself banned totaly without anyones help.
Will get them other pics up tonight when I come up from working in the K.
(But that Gimp avatar was funny):recovry4x4:

zout

It says Norton but its still a 3M product no matter what they say.

If you look at the application gun there is no way you could just buy the tube and push this stuff out in the mixture it needs AND without breaking your fingers in the process - it measures it precisely just like you need to do with paint.
Gun is reusable so from there after purchase of the less expensive gun is just get tubes that come with the nozzles - you can see them in the bag.

The topper - center re-enforcement was broken apart and lets the cut off section droop like my underwear does when I am really sweaty. The ends inside are the same way.

SO - the U shaped thingy I cut out will be adhered inside to make the surface level and most important give it the rigidity back it needs. The front leading edge of that U I cut out will get a bead of the bonding on it to make a rolled edge. The radius end cuts that look like a diamond - will get plugged - and repeat after me - USING THE BONDING MATERIAL - now that was cool. Then round off those radius's a tad more along with the bottom that mounts to the top of the bed. Swiss will want to double bolt this on instead of just the one bolt hole showing - there will be two of them in it.

Keep checking in - got the K to finish up first.DSCN0033.jpgDSCN0034.jpgDSCN0035.jpgDSCN0036.jpgDSCN0037.jpgDSCN0039.jpgDSCN0040.jpgDSCN0057.jpgDSCN0058.jpg

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Dang it. I saw the title, got up off the couch, grabbed the computer and went to the bathroom in anticipation just to find..........

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have to thank commander Zout for again his biblical documentation!! This effort takes him over an hour per day taking pictures, uploading and commentary for us lonely souls :)

okay spent an hour with Scott owner of off road engineering tonight. We decided on a rear cage for the following reasons

1. Safety of rear passengers
2. Canvas will lay better
3. New spare mounting location of cage
4. No interference with existing stuff which I have alot

the price was higher than anticipated but the means justifies the end

now the cool part!!! This guy builds the most awesome stuff. The off road vehicles he makes and fabricates are crazy. He puts Jesse to shame on bikes. Pictures on next visit I was drooling to bad to remove phone

zout

IF ya all do not read this I will be forced to put pics of my sisters up in a CUCV in THEIR bikini's - next we'll hear from CARNAC he had to have a heart transplant.

Got that bike chit off the sawhorses and into the house - got the center bonding filled and level to dry - got the outter edge into a bead to be able to roll this over so no one cuts their hands on it grabbing it. Got the two holes on the lower frontal area filled - got the seam mid way up the topper filled in as we want this looking uniform. NEXT - nothing - just let it dry overnight to do its thing and then attack it when I am done with work on the K.

Those ends that have the diamond cutouts in them - those babies are getting filled as well -we want a smooth overall product here when done.DSCN0069.jpgDSCN0070.jpgDSCN0071.jpgDSCN0072.jpgDSCN0073.jpgDSCN0074.jpgDSCN0075.jpgDSCN0076.jpgDSCN0078.jpg THAT is how hot the surface temp of the piece was before I pulled it into the garage while it was sitting in the SUN. Who knows if there were Chem Trails or not before or after - that is just how hot it was.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is some nasty snotty green looking stuff! Did an elephant sneeze all over my top. Nasty Nasty :)

I guess to be good you have to start bad

zout

Frank - YES - I came into this world bloody and I plan to leave that way.

Ole Angus Rocks and has perfect memory - cooking overrules working on MV's anyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks