• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Army Base Closings, now to 2020

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a link to the Army plan to reduce the forces, both military and civilian, at most all bases located in the US. See exactly how it might affect your community in these assessment documents. The Army is soliciting feedback on these plans, but notes that they are driven by sequestration and other budget constraints.

http://aec.army.mil/Services/Support/NEPA/Documents.aspx

We really don't need any discussion on the site about this, but you need to make people in your community aware that these documents exist and this could happen near you in the next five or six years.

saddamsnightmare

July 1st, 2014.

Thank you SCSG-G4, this little enclosure is going to be quite the bedside reading, and as I work for the NPS, the section on Fort Monroe should be most interesting. Just as a guesstimate, does anyone on here want to bet that if you did print out all these sections on paper, you could probably support your Government Surplus reading light at the right height to read in your rack at night?

Being where I am at in the NPS right now, I had forgotten that BRAC is still functioning. At Fort Ritchie,MD, the BRAC closure there cost probably all the WWII #106 design frame barracks as I believe they were all demolished (by now).
There is a good documentary on the Fort Ritchie post in WWII called: "The Ritchie Boys", I wish I had known about it before my mother passed on, as she was a WWII US Army WAAC Quartermaster Captain there in charge of interrogating the German Army Officer POW's from the Afrika Corps.... Often we do miss the questions because we learn to late of the subject in question.

Thanks again, Sir, keep up the good work![thumbzup]

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
One of the biggies I saw documented was the 16,000 military positions at Ft Lewis gone like a #@$% in the wind. Figure 30% additional (minimum) of gov civ on top of that and then the additional contractor.....

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
There will be a lot of speculation in the near future. Those 16K are the same ones and the debate will occur as who gets the cuts. I received info it would be Lewis. On the flip side, I bet those leaders in CO are pulling their hair out and wanting to move their units out of CO because of the whacky weed availability.

Also it is unlikely the worst of the info and final decisions will not be put out to the public until after the fall elections. Once the elections take place, watch out...word is deep and painful to all.

Thousands of years ago the wise one warned all:

-There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

-Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor damped, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.

-Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain.

And history is full of examples.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only constant in life is CHANGE.

Nothing stays the same... EVER.

There are only two states in nature: Growth and Decay. Even the boulder in the middle of forest which appears permanent and static is slowly eroding to the effects of wind and rain... decaying. The trees are either alive and growing or dying and rotting away. NOTHING on this earth is forever in its present state.

To expect such is simply ignorance (ignorance: IGNORING fact or reality).

Carry on.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
It was in the local paper yesterday that between 16-20K positions (military, civilian, contractor) positions will be cut by 2020. That will be ugly for the local economy any way it goes.

Last edited:

jasonjc

It's always the same no one wants to spend $$$ on the military, but say you are taking those military $$ away by closing bases and cutting jobs and the $hit hits the fan. No one seems to want the soldiers just the money they bring in.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As usual things move slow in this area, BRAC 2005 plan.

BRAC 2005

Aberdeen Proving Ground

Fort Belvoir

Fort Benning

Fort Carson

Fort Lee

Fort McPherson

Fort Meade

Fort Monroe

Fort Sam Houston

Pinon Canyon

tim292stro

Sun Tzu in The Art of War. I highly suggest reading it even if not in the military. The guy was a genius.
13 chapters of shear awesome - apply it in any facet of life: business, pleasure, warfare - it's all about kicking your opponent's rear-end while not losing yours. Everything from state of mind, general concepts of planning, and information gathering and misdirection. It can become a lifestyle :)

tim292stro

...Thousands of years ago the wise one warned all:

-There is no instance of a country having benefited from prolonged warfare.

-Now, when your weapons are dulled, your ardor damped, your strength exhausted and your treasure spent, other chieftains will spring up to take advantage of your extremity. Then no man, however wise, will be able to avert the consequences that must ensue.

-Again, if the campaign is protracted, the resources of the State will not be equal to the strain.

And history is full of examples.
And you can look to current events too - Middle East, Africa, places where peace is not the norm, the quality of life is much lower than places where peace (or measured covert warfare) is the norm.

Whiterabbit

There are pros and cons to everything. Remember when they started shutting down posts in Germany in the early 90's? I do, I was there. Everyone thought the economy would collapse. Nope, Germany is still there.
Here in Georgia Ft. McPherson closed but it will become a move studio. That means private $$ to their local economy, not your tax dollars propping up a false economy.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

I was stationed at Fort McClellan, AL in the early 90's when several units on post were deactivated. Our Sgt. Major predicted that the base would be closed and eventually it was BRAC'ed.

While there was economic impact, Anniston is still a large, thriving city. Part of the post was turned over to the civilians who are still selling property and re-purposing others. Several industries have moved into existing buildings or built new buildings.

Some of the property was turned over to Homeland Security and FEMA and is used for training and mobilization when there is a disaster.

The Alabama National Guard had a presence there before closure and got a lot of real estate and Pelham Range which is adjacent to the Anniston Army Depot, a major rebuilder of military equipment and storage of weapons and ammunition.

I have had several meetings with the folks that manage civilian side and the National Guard Public Affairs Office about filming movies out there. There are still WWII structures out there that would make excellent background scenery in movies.

McClellan was known as "The Jewel of the South" in military circles due to the Spanish style construction of many of the buildings.

Base closure is not necessarily a death blow to local economies but it can have a big impact.

My concern is that if we ever have to mobilize for a major global conflict where will the needed soldiers train, live and leave from?

Once a base is turned over to local authorities there is no going back.

dependable

I don't know about that, in WW2 all sorts things were directed to war effort. In this country, mostly things were not commandiered, because they were paid for. But factories were directed what to make and to what specs, but they were paid for it. Lots of ships were assigned were to government service.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks