• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Suburban axels good / bad?????

sermis

How good are 80's model suburban axels. They are in a 2500 4 X 4. I was thinking about using them in my M37 or in a 59 Willy’s wagon project. 4.10 gears. Not free floating hubs.

BigJay

Front will be a 10 bolt, similar to Dana 44.. Rear will be a semi floating 14 bolt. They will most likely support your truck just fine, but they're not "heavy duty" axles by any means.

For the rear track down a fully floating 14 bolt, cheap and strong. Front well.. that's up to you (Or your wallet as the case may be).

pa.rich

I had an '87 suburban 3/4 ton 4wd. I had to replace the hubs with the dial in type. They were much better engagement after that. I plowed for 11 years with it. After that the differential gears needed work. If you think of it , the plowing I think is what did them in. I really have no complaints about those axles.

DMgunn

Yes, the 10-bolt is similar to the Dana 44 - it is a cheapened version with lower quality materials. It is common for the diff cross pin to elongate the holes where it passes through the carrier. Also, the tubes have a tendency to loosen and seperate where they are pressed into the carrier. I haven't witnessed the tube thing firsthand, but have seen many, many slopped out cross pin holes. I personally hate 10-bolts. On the other hand, the 14-bolt semi-floater is as good as it gets (GM-wise) without going to a 14-bolt full-floater, which is very different but also quite good.

If it were my money, and the axles weren't under an otherwise nice Sub, I'd use the what you've got for now, and start looking for a Dana 60 and 14b FF to swap in later. Same bolt pattern, spring spacing, etc. so it would be a very easy swap down the road.

DMgunn

Oops....let me save you jokers the trouble -- "Holy thread resurrection!!"

Sorry, I was poking around in "Mechanical Upgrades" for the first time today, and didn't notice that it isn't very active.

My shallowest and least heart-felt apologies all around.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks