• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 Fluids questions for Fire Department

Mgfire23

My fire department just received a M1078 through a forestry service grant to be converted into a fire truck.

1) I discovered two hydraulic lines that run to the passenger side front axle housing on the top had sheared off at the fittings causing fluid to leak when I test drove it. I am trying to figure out the fluid that goes into there and where it is added.

2) what type of fluid is it? I looked in TM but it is in military spec.?

3) is there a place to get military fluids? or figure out civilian equivalents to the mil. fluids.?

4) I am trying to find a 12v access point to wire the radio, siren, light bar to, any ideas?

Thanks, Ill post pictures when it is all done with its new paint job.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like what you are talking about is the frame mounted hydraulic cylinder that is used to make the truck "kneel" to fit into aircraft. Mine are broken off too. The lube order calls for hydraulic fluid, which is basically AW-32 or universal tractor fluid. This is added at the air-hydraulic power unit in between the cab and bed. I would wire the 12 volt equipment directly to the battery. Good luck with the conversion and let us know how the truck does with the water load.

Mgfire23

The lines are connected on the top of the passenger side axle housing about 18" to the center of the truck from the wheel. The fittings were 45 degree about 1/4" x 3/8".

The he plan is to eventually have a poly tank the size of the whole bed keeping the center of gravity low

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well there are no hydraulic lines to the axle, so it must be a vent line. 85W-90 gear lube goes in the axle.

ke5eua

The lines are connected on the top of the passenger side axle housing about 18" to the center of the truck from the wheel. The fittings were 45 degree about 1/4" x 3/8".

The he plan is to eventually have a poly tank the size of the whole bed keeping the center of gravity low
I second the baffling of the tank, even a poly tank the size of the bed not baffled can slosh pretty good and I know from first hand experience how easy those trucks are to spin. Luckily it didn't roll, just did a really awesome 360 on route tampa in Iraq causing my OIC to need a change of undies.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On #4, you could wire directly to the batteries. There are binding posts in the fuse panel / breaker area that you could use for low power accessories. They are on the left hand side. I used those to hook up a cigarette lighter outlet in mine, but I am not sure what amperage they are rated for.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks