• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

more pics of unknown deuce+++MORE PICS ADDED+++

fogman7

ok,here are a few more pics of unknown duece, the back axle is dated 3-19-41!!!!!!!

Attachments

Knucklehead

RE: more pics of unknown duece

From what I see of it in your pictures, it looks like one that was made for the civilian market. I know REO and Studebaker sold the 2.5T trucks to civilian operators. The trucks main difference was the electrical system, 12 volt and not waterproofed, civilian gauges and some other minor differences. That dash in the picture looks the same as the one a friend of mine had which was a civilian truck. IHC, Dodge and more recently BMY, with the 900 series 5T, also sold tactical trucks to the civilian market.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Hey fogman7 could you post a few pictures of both of your trucks that show the whole vehicles instead of close ups of various parts?

Chuck

rdixiemiller

Looks a lot like an early M35 that went through Memphis Equipments shop. The windshield looks like one of their conversions. It should be a standard deuce windshield frame with the canvas top front edge removed. A flat piece of 11 gauge is welded across the front of the whole thing, and new windshield holes are cut in. The glass is retained with rubber weatherstripping. I've seen several of them, with various different configurations. Often they had civvy style gauges, the sealed windshields, REB kits on the t-case, and different engines. I've seen the REB kits use either a lever in the floor, or an air cylinder and a dash switch. I've seen them with either the original REO Gold Comet, or with 6V53's. The 6V53's may have been installed at a later date by the next owners. Looks like Timken axles, so that would be very early stuff. Memphis usually converted them to 12 volt.
Look for a tag somewhere on the dash that says "REO Eager Beaver" or "Memphis Equipment". All the ones I have seen were on the pax side. Yours looks like there is a push/pull air switch on the far side of the dash. What does the tag say that is on the face of it? Also looks like a transfer case PTO. Old fire truck conversion?
I have a manual somewhere for the civilianized M35. It had civvy ignition under the hood, 12 volt system, civvy lights, and no air compressor. Wipers and brakes were vacuum assist. Standard light switch instead of the 3 lever type.

fogman7

more pics added,,there is no dash tag anywhere, so if it a M35, build date on rear axle is 41, so does that mean the whole truck is a 41 or was the upper part put on a 41 chassis?

acetomatoco

Certainly is a conversion of a post 1950 M35 style truck.. Zeligson did a lot of conversions like that to deuces and 5 tons.. Should be a plate near the bottom inside of the driver-s door. VIN will be on the frame behind LF wheel... Xfer case PTO is found on a lot of conversions for running hydraulic pumps etc... you can see where the 3 lever M series light switch was removed. The Timken style axle was added... And full air brakes..hence the treadle.. What engine is in it.. can't tell from picture... should say Gold Comet or something similar on exhaust manifold... or Have a REO tag..

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
When this truck left the original manufacturer's shop (more than likely Reo or Studebaker) it was absolutely no sooner than 1949. Who may have cobbled what onto after that date at this point is anyone's guess. On the vertical surface of the frame rail between the axle housing and the fender should have a five or six digit number. This number is stamped into the frame rail, not attached to a plate. Sometimes this number begins with "M", sometimes not, depending on manufacturer. Oftentimes directly beneath that number is the manufacturing date - no code, just the simple date, sometimes in numbers, sometimes in letters (i.e. Jun 6 67). The truck has been heavily modified as rdixiemiller pointed out, with replacement windshield, and seat, addition of heater, replacement of wiring harness and instrument cluster as well as light switch.

It appears that the original bed has been removed as well. It is for an absolute fact a G-742 series truck, although there are not enough photos or information given yet to determine what type (M34, M35, M36, M45, etc.) it was originally.

On the transfer case beneath the truck there will be a ID tag for the transfer case itself. However, on trucks this old the tag was usually also stamped with the buyer's (truck manufacturer's) name - Reo or Stude, as well as the customary date. While it is possible that the transfer case was replaced in a later rebuilding, if for some reason you cannot locate the frame info, its worth sliding under the truck to take a look at this.

As an aside, since your original objective was to mod a truck into a faux WWII German vehicle, this one would be a prime candidate. This truck is too modified to be economical to restore as what it was originally, so may as well make something you want out of it!

Best wishes,
David Doyle

devilman96

Correct me if I am wrong here but. . .

The windshield looks like the artic shield conversion not a memphis cut up.

DR had one of these and I considered installing one on mine before I decided to do the custom route.

His name is escaping me at the moment but the surplus dealer in KY whom passed recently had a ton of them up and his place for sale before they started scrapping the yard out.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I helped DR remove that windshield from a truck at Howard Hammond's yard in KY. It looked just like that one.

Interesting truck. It won't look like a WW2 truck captured by the Germans no matter what color you paint it. Depending on how deteriorated it is, it might be worth fixing a few things and then selling it to a contractor or something to raise some cash to get a correct period truck.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
steelsoldiers said:
It won't look like a WW2 truck captured by the Germans no matter what color you paint it.
I was thinking fab up an entirely new body. There was a local guy that had a good looking sdkfz 222 armored car. When you touched it you realized it was plywood!

The Germans had some good size four and six wheel transport trucks, depending on ones sheet metal or wood working skills....

DD

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
i just finished a job in raceland, back there behind the old sale lot

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like an amalgamachine to me. Definitely a Memphis job, from a while back. They were building trucks out of misc. components from different models. I doubt they have done this for many years, but perhaps they took a M35 cab and dropped it on a WWII era frame/axles.

rdixiemiller

I have seen a few Timken axles on some really early M35's. I think the casting number is what he has found, certainly not the build date. I've always seen the build dates stamped on a tag or into the cebter section casting, never cast in place.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks