• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper number questions

ONTOS66

Seems that it is my turn to be stumped by a couple of bumper numbers on my new toys.

The pioneer trailer is marked: 77C(?) (could be a 2nd letter or just rust) and 306E (306th Engineers I would assume). The person I bought it form got it from DRMO (yes that long ago) in New Jersey. However, some soldier wrote on the front "The Amityville Horrors" - so, a NJ unit where the soldier was impressed by the Amityville movie (or if he could read, the book) or a unit in NY?

Then for additional points: My M1028 was delivered from Michigan. Passenger side markings read: 123CR (no clue), 428 BDE (428th Brigade). Driver side is HQ 66. Since it was a radio teletype unit it would have been with the Brigade Headquarters. I tried several combinations with the numbers and can't find any such organization.

Just to make it interesting, inside the shelter I found an "exchange tag" dated 10 Dec 91, for a PU-724 inverter (all radios removed unfortunately). It was from C Co, 801st Maint. which is now 801st Forward Support Battalion with the 101st Airborne. The organization that the shelter was assigned to was HHC 4/101 Aviation Regiment. Also with the 101st Airborne.

Scratch your head over that one. I did ...

;)

Attachments

I think that should be an R at the end making it 77cr. I think that is for Command Reserve. At least that is what I was told about my truck. But i have been wrong before.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Often, the shelters are turned into Tobyhanna for rebuild, then re issused. Entirely possible that the shelter was with the 101st, then turned in to Toby, then reissued to NJNG.. Just a possibility.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks