• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Brake Problem? Squeaky.

key-largo

I've had an issue recently with squeaky deuce brakes. Initially, the vehicle didn't stop that well. Upon first movement of the truck there would be some squealing. Shortly thereafter, it would quiet down. Silicon brake fluid was used to bleed and fill the brake lines. The vehicle now stops well but at the expense of a loud high pitched squealing noise when the brakes are applied. If the deuce is moved in reverse and stopped the braking noise doesn't seem to be too bad. I'm requesting thoughts on what I should be doing and/or checking out. Thanks to all.

JRBAMATEX

Mine make a noise sometimes too. Kind of a howling or moaning noise. It primarily happens when the pressure is up and I have been driving a while in stop and go traffic. It really freaked me out when it first started happening. No noise when I was stopping but then as I pull away they would howl or moan as I call it. I posted my trouble on hear and someone told me to squirt some air tool oil in the air hydraulic unit where the J-Pipe goes in. So I took of the J-Pipe and liberally squirted some air tool oil in the AHU. The problem persisted for a while and I thought "Well great it's still broke!" I didn't drive it for a while (just didn't have time) then I got it out and ran it a lot. No more brake moan. Not sure if this will help your problem but it was a quick cheap easy fix and worth the try.

Good luck

eddiec

don't have any pics, don't have my duece either, but if memory serves me right, there are 2 adjustment "bolt heads" top and bottom. jack up any wheel, adjust tops until they just barely drag, just slightly, then do the bottom adjuster the same way. depending on how the shoes are worn, you may have to back off the tops to get the bottom of the shoes to seat. by adjusting both, you will get a more even wear, and actually increase the shoe life, because you will be keeping the entire shoe in contact, and not just pushing out on the tops from the wheel cyl push.

eddiec

maybe we
ll be lucky, and someone will post a good pic of theirs with the drum off so you can get a good idea before you start.

eddiec

you can just adjust the tops, where the wheel cyl is, and get a good brake, but i liked the idea of using the whole shoe.you may even want to pull off onr of the front drums to see how bad the shoes are.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the clearance is .015 top and bottom. Mine squeal when cold. I thought they were worn, but they look good from the inspection cover. I just do a couple of stops, and the squeal stops. The drums are probably glazed a bit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks