• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What solvent to clean tires?

amanco

I got my Michelin 11.00-16 XL's in and they look great (Not mounted yet, sorry). Ok, now I have a question. :?: These tires are used and have a bit of CARC oversparay on them. What solvent can I use to clean it off and not damage the rubber? After it is done is there some thing I can apply to treat the rubber to protect it? I am sure solvent will be harsh to the surface of the tire, right? Maybe I am wrong?

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Hmmm, that's a tough one Keith. Seeing that CARC is what it is and is resistant to most solvents when dry, you may have to result to a coarse 3M pad and elbow grease. I would think that any solvent tough enough to get CARC off would damage the tires. It may not be evident at first, but I imagine you would experience premature checking and cracking of the sidewall around the bead. Soapy water should help the sanding pad cut the paint a little quicker, prevent clogging of the fiber and keep the CARC dust out of the air.

CGarbee

If you do hit them with a pressure washer, use one with a lower pressure rating or stand a bit further back... You can damage the sidewall with excessive force from a pressure washer that may not be obvious till you have been on the road for a while...

There is a warning about this both in the Michelin and Goodyear manuals... Most likely in the TRA Yearbook as well...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brake fluid? I used a wire brush and soap on some of mine. The CARC doesn't stick real well to rubber anyway.

D-Man

CGarbee is right. If you don't have a pressure washer, take it to a truck stop wash and have them use the hot water line. It uses a lower pressure nozzle and works great to remove the overspray! They charged me about $30 to clean up some overspray on a couple of the 14.00 20's - well worth the time I saved.

littlebob

The Purple Power works very good on my civvy tires, but I doubt that it would do anything to the CARC. I had hell getting Paint stripper to do work on the CARC and I'm sure it would destroy the rubber. Maybe a fine wire brush wheel would work in a small test area and then you could proceed if it was succesful.
Please let us know what works.
littlebob

deuceman51

I used paint stripper on my tires. It bubbles the paint and as soon as it starts to soften it I use a steel brush or steel wool to scrape it off. I have water handy and then douse the areas in water to neutralize the stripper. I wipe off with a towel and thats it. My tires had white paint on them and it cleaned them up nice and make them look newer. I didn't let the stripper sit too long so it didn't really eat any rubber on the sidewalls. That was done over 8 months ago and the tires are fine and still aired up with no problems.

amanco

Well, All I got to say is thank God I didn't have far to go. That was one heck of a down pour. Yes my right foot was wet. I installed the new rubber windshield seals yesterday afternoon. Now to track down some 11.00 - 16 tubes and flaps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks