• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cucv with nv4500 5 speed transmission transplant? Need info.

61sleepercab

My recovery truck is a 1986 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 with the standard 4 speed with direct drive in high gear. I have 4.10 gears and over rev the V-8 on the Interstate. I know that the 1990's NV4500 5 speed overdrive was put in Dodge and GM trucks. HAS ANYONE PUT A NV4500 TRANSMISSION IN A CUCV TYPE TRUCK? Has there been a thread on this before? Before you flame me, the search function on this site will not work on my computer. Any info would be helpful. Thanks Mark

Since the search button doesn't work for you, look at the bottom of the screen. It has a section called similar threads and I think it'll help you find what you are looking for. I know it's helped me on several issues.

Brett

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can always search using google and get the results. The answer is yes, the swap has been done and some of the info has been discussed here.

MarcusOReallyus

Sleepercab, here's a bit more info on searching for you, to expand on what 4x4 said. Most search engines will search a specific site for you. You just have to tell it what site. The syntax is the same for all the search engines I know of that support this feature. Here's how it works: Enter your search terms, then add "site:steelsoldiers.com", and the results will ALL be from steelsoldiers.com

For example, using duckduckgo.com (which doesn't track you!), it looks like this: nv4500 transmission swap site:steelsoldiers.com

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Or use the search on the top right of the page and it will do a google search against the site for you.

The NV4500 swap has been done a few times here. Matter of fact, just simply typing in "NV4500 cucv" in the search will turn back over 1700 results. Lotsa good info.

61sleepercab

When I try the site search function, I get a white background with "STEEL SOLDIER " logo on the left margin and "Loading" in the center and left margin and a copy right sentence at the bottom of the page. This page does nothing and the computer does nothing.
I am a old hand with simple searches with Bing, Yahoo and Google but have not tried to limit search material as to SS. I have used the link feature at the end of replies to give similar threads.The Nv4500 info on the web is confusing at best as whether or not a GM based set up is possible without aftermarket adapters which cost more than I gave for my whole truck. I have 4.10 gears that is great for towing a grist mill and 6 cylinder power unit on a tandem trailer but I run out of a good road gear on the Interstate empty.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sounds like you've got some security setting that isn't allowing the google based search to display the results.

61sleepercab

No that is not the problem as I just did a Google search from my tool bar short cut and on the Google main site did another search without problem. There is no popup from firewall or security program when trying SS search. It just does not work some how. If had spark plugs or injectors I could fix it myself.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The google search here is a little different since it's customized content search. It's a little bit of the SS site and a little bit of google. Which could be a problem for some security settings. Over say just google or just SS.

I did the swap on a 1987 Chevy 3500 ex federal surplus dump truck. Yes it works. But thinking back, I think I would have liked a Overdrive box better. You see they make an Overdrive box for RV's that has an input drive shaft and an output drive shaft. I had one on an old Ford 350 , it worked well and was simple install. Just had to have the drive shafts made up and mounted it with its hardware on the frame. It made a truck that could not break 55 with out over revving do 75 with out any problem.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My project achieves the same goal but has a different approach. I considered the NV but in the end using the torque splitter will be best for my gearing issues and use. I do like the shift characteristics of the NV much better.

southdave

Mine swap was direct... just use a single mass flywheel and cross member for a 700r4 and 208 t-case.... I did not have to do anything to my driveshaft. Because I eliminated the pedistol mount between the trans and t case. Nv4500 has mounting at rear of case. Hardest thing figuring out the hyd clutch.. hindsight I would have used mechanical linkage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks