• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

California High Desert "Rally"

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, we had a great turn out for the trip to ITC bone yard, and it was touched on out there. How about a high desert get together here in So. Cal??? I have seen a few posts from some new guys up there and I know of at least 3 other people that live there...JDT...mendo...Tony...I have quickly checked the mileage. For DJfreema and polverone, it's about 160 mi, 1 way. The guys from Irvine/Laguna, apx 90 mi, one way to the Stoddard Valley. We could strike a camp, wheel around a few days, and come back...preferred, or just drive around to different places and just set up a spot at night only. Who would be interested? Hopefully I can get a 105 by the time we choose...Novemberish?? for tires, xtra H2O, wood, some bigger tools than can be carried in the step box, etc. bigmike should be up and running and he has a trailer as does Mark.
Wadda ya think??? I have some off road maps of the Stoddard Valley, the Lucerne and the Randsburg area. I can copy and send them to whoever is interested.
BTW, The Randsburg area is about 40-50 miles closer for DJfreema and polverone, but the same distance farther for the guys from south OC. This is only a suggestion, if anyone has other thoughts, bring them on! Let's get a trip goin'!

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Works for me as long as the beer is cold and the steaks are bloody.

What about the big bear area?

Ocotillo wells has over 80k acres!

key-largo

I'd be interested in a field trip. I was wondering how much longer after the ITC Fontana run it would be before you were going to try to organize something else. My main thing would be to replace some of my deuce's tires which could easily be done in time. It would be nice to get a M105A2 as well. No preference at this point as far as location is concerned. If you have some maps of proposed sites, I'd gladly take a look at them.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd love the idea of a convoy. We could be watching out for each other...stop and camp along the way...Just a thought.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, Big Bear is cool, but, with the lack of rain, don't know if USFS will like us what with no spark arrestors. I would HATE to start a fire out there. We would all be responsible for it. Ocatillo is good . Jullian? Salton Sea? Some of the maps I have are too big to scan and post.
How 'bout this. All who are interested, PM me with an address and I'll copy the maps and send them via USPS. I'll highlite the areas I have in mind, youse guys do the same and we can have an excuse to get together and BBQ, dine out or just BS and put our ideas together. I think it's time us west coast guys come out and play :twisted:
In October, the Unimog and Pinz guys have a gathering at Calico. I think the mogs and stuff are alittle more nimble that our deuces though. Some of the stuff at Calico can get ugly.

area52

I vote for Nov 17th(Sat) somewhere around the Barstow vicinity. I have to go over to Santa Barbara to take a test in the morning am planning on bringing my M292A2 back home to New Mexico that weekend hopefully.

It would be cool to meet up with some people that weekend somewhere out in the desert.

Heck yeah, that is a good possibility. I know the Randsburg area well. I have hunted chukar there since I was in high school (late 60's :roll: ). There is amenities there as well as a museum.
There is a flat area there known as Indian Wells just north of Joberg Road and Hwy 395.

There is also this Naval Museum at China Lake close by:http://www.chinalakemuseum.org/clmf/

Hopefully fire season will be over and we can have the ol' campfire in the circle of wagons.

Yeah, let's chat it up.

How about a little farther North, Say Oceano Dunes, How about Hungary Valley OHV near Gorman, Top of the Grapevine off I-5. Lets bring it a little north boys. I know one of you wants to go to Jockos in Nipomo, if you come here, I will follow you to Hungary Valley or ? King City even has some nice places to meet.

area52

meet

Hey Nathan,

I lived up there(Atascadero) for over 6 years and never made it to Jocko's!

How about we meet up when I come to get my M292A2 in Nov? Its up in Morro Bay.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: meet

Gorman would be sweet too, but, there's the spark arrestor thing again. Do you guys think USFS would be OK with us there? We are all plated, so we could go anywhere there.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial

Gorman would be cool but I can only think off 3 trails big enough for a duece.It's geared more towards dirt bikes. Another thing is we would be required to have adventure passes and then we would have the rangers looking over our shoulders. I vote for somewhere in the desert, although Gorman is only 30 miles from me.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Devin, I agree. The desert will be alot more friendly to our stuff. We can have a fire too. With as dry as it's been, I feel the wooded areas should be avoided...for now :wink:

area52

Just another thought - on Nov 9,10,11 Callifornia Four Wheel Drive Association is having a fund raising event up in Panamint Valley. I have been going every year and its pretty fun. You don't have to run the trails with them if you don't want to ( costs like $50 ) but you can camp out and they have a barbeque on Sat. night that is $12 per person but its awesome. Last year there was a Unimog.

WillWagner

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

I just did a check of my wifes work schedule. Nov. 17, she works, that means nobody for my girls to hang with. The w-end of the 10th looks good. bigmike. I'll send you your copies Monday.

key-largo

Although for us South Orange County guys it is about 180 miles away, the Trona area or thereabouts would be interesting. The Trona area seems like its from another planet. In fact, they filmed Planet of the Apes by the Trona Pinnacles. Will, I'll PM my information.

hole

If I'm not working would love to go! Brother Will , just keep me in the loop because I havnt had much time to check S.S. Thanks WW2

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks