• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GMC 'Workshop vehicle'

nf6x

Feral Engineer
RE: GMC

That's a neat looking truck. Is it yours?

This board doesn't let us include external images in the posts. If you want your pictures to show up in your posts (instead of having people click on links like you did above), then you upload them to the server with the "attachment" feature. They need to be no more than 640 pixels wide and 640 pixels tall to do this. Larger pictures must be shrunk before being attached, or just linked to like you did above.

tamangel

Hey Sarge, Nope, not mine but wish it were..Museum shot from Europe..Just curious about the specs..No info was supplied.. Rounded roof was interesting, maybe a Euro construct..

Mike

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

I believe that the bed is not of US manufacture.

US built CCKW workshop trucks come in only two basic types that I am aware. One has a box body, similar to the M109 bed - several different interior configurations of this bed were produced. The other style was the engineer's contact maintenance body, which was largely open with canvas coverings and drop-down sides that exposed a mobile machine shop.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

willysmd

That looks like a Swiss workshop body, I have just obtained one here in the UK.

This one (mine) was built in 1944 then the Swiss army got it in 1957 and released it in 1988, now I have it. :D

Attachments

Scrambler

Yes, as said above, it is an early '50s Swiss built shopvan body on a WW2 truck. There are quite a few of them around overhere.
The mobile machine shop mentioned above are rare. I know of a few in use and in a museum here in the Netherlands. I was hoping to own one myself but the one I found is beyond the deepness of my wallet so I decited to build a scale modell in 1:35. Lateron my path will come along a real one, whenever I can afford it.

Pictures of some are seem at the following link:

http://www.pbase.com/kees_s/image/83674569

pix of the model will come soon...

Smokindieseldually

A little info on the trucks in the pic i posted....
Brand GMC
Model CCKW 353
Application Truck Workshop
Drive 6 x 6
Lenght 6.49 m
Width 2.44 m
Building year 1944
Height 3.00 m
Wheelbase 4.16 m
Track 1.52/1.72 m
Empty Weight 4.575 kg
Gross vehicle weight 6.845 kg
Engine GMC 270
Fuel Petrol
Cylinders 6 - 4416 cm³
HP 91 hp at 2750 rpm
Gears 5 fwd. - 1 rev.
Transfercase 2 speed
Voltage 6 V
Battery 1 x 6 V
Tank capacity 150 liter
Tires size 7.50 x 20
Number of tyres 10 + 1 spare
Speed 72 km/h

willysmd

Are those ones American built or Swiss built bodies, they are the same as my one but with a hard cab I was led to believe that the 3 window version was Swiss??

@ scrambler:
I know a guy who might want to sell one of those workshop CCKWs. It's sitting in his yard and seems to be in a relativly good (running) shape.
If you are interested I can establish a connection for you. It is located near Koblenz, Germany.

@ all: guess what that thing next to the CCKW is, under the tarp?

Regards,
Mark

Attachments

Scrambler

That's an easy guess under the tarp... DUKW. The small thing is a Volkswagen Golf (Rabbit), the CCKW is with that Swiss body (not interested) and the other truck (fender) is a Saurer (I think)

Agree?

I am looking for aa Closed Cab GMC with the mobile workshop.

He wants to restore it, but as far as I can judge he also might sell it.
I've had a closer look at it, it needs some serious welding around the bottom.
I'll send you a pm tomorrow.

Mark

Ahh thanks for the notice, and let us know of your progress! Would love to see a few restoration pics of the DUKW.
Seems like the seller will be in the need of spending a beer next time I'm around 8)

Cheers,
Mark

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks