• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MV Convoy on US Rt. 20 East coast to West coast

jatonka

Some of our NY-Penn MVCC members and I are going to drive Rt 20 to the West coast next June, we are looking for Steel Soldiers along the way to stop by and visit with. Maybe I can set up a help net too in case of trouble along the way. We are taking a maximum of 10 vehicles to try to keep the break downs manageable. I'll be driving my M109A3 shop van with a 1D turbo , my lockout hubs and spin-on oil filter set-up. I dropped the interaxle driveshaft and got as much as 10.25 mpg on a trip to Aberdeen 3 years ago, I hope for the same this trip. We are going to make a detour into South dakota so I can see Mount Rushmore and The Little Bighorn Battlefield. Something I've wanted to do all my life. Hope to hear from lots of you soon, John Tennis :)

jatonka

Sounds great, Maccus! Ill stay in touch. I haven't been this excited about planning a trip in years. So far there are 3 vehicles in our group. We pretty much figure on limiting it to 10 total, That should be eniough excitement for us and the places we'll be driving through. John tennis

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are going to MACCUS'S may as well plan on bringing back a rig or two??????????? :shock: No rust/good deal's. Clinto's mule maybe????

jatonka

Hello everyone near US Rt. 20, we are forming up the line now and getting things in order for the trip. We have a place to sleep near Crazy Horse, and a place to stay in Nebraska. We are hoping for pull offs to camp each night, figuring about 250 to 300 miles per day. Our first night will be near Buffalo NY, Then 2nd day somewhere in Ohio. Anyone from Ohio wanna have us stop by to see you? American Legion Post? John Tennis

cbvet

John,
I'm an easy 40 miles south of the US 20 bypass around South Bend, Indiana. There's plenty of room here for the vehicles [35 acres of woods], a fairly well equipped shop, & a mobile home we use as a guest house.
You'd be welcome any time.
Eric
CBVET

jatonka

Hi Eric, I'm gonna print it and You're on. We're pretty well behaved and older than dirt. Still a little fun left in us , looking forward to meeting you. Jatonka aka John Tennis

LanceRobson

John-

I remember this being discussed at the NY-Penn meeting at Jack Gregory's last summer. His farm is on US 20. Our farm is three miles from him.

We have 4 empty bedrooms, 5 couches and a two story cabin back in our woodlot. We've also got a large (6,000 SF plus) shop if you need it.

We're in between Auburn and Skaneateles about 120 mile east of your July 2007 proposed stopover near Buffalo.

At any rate, you're welcome to drop in. Alternatively, we could provide recovery or maintenance contact team help and a potential "Plan B" layover spot if Buffalo remains the desired layover.

Lance

What dates are you looking at and what other types of vehicles are involved?

jatonka

Hello all, our departure date is July 31 2008 at 08.00 hrs Altamont NY, picking up additional vehicles as we move westward through central NY on US Rt. 20. We will stop at Jack Gregory's to see all the NY-Penn members in that part of the state and check trucks over. We hope to make Buffalo the evening of the 31st, hope to find a farm or VFW or American Legion lot to Bivouac in. Is that spelled right? JT out

mangus580

Bjorn, I got a PM from John last week. I think they are planning a departure for the first week of August? I know he asked me how close to US 20 I would be on a certain day that week, and I am in the first day of his trip.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well for those that want to know, according to Streets and Trips, following rte 20 all the way to Newport Oregon is 3175.6 miles. If a vehicle averages 10 mpg thats 317.5 gallons and hoping to find diesel at $4.75 that comes out to $1508.58 in fuel. Double that for the ride home and you've spent 3 grand. Seeing the USA from east to west in an old MV, priceless. If it weren't for family and work, I'd do this trip in a NY second. Hmm, another thought. An old water buffalo holds 400 gallons.

Somemedic

Fellas,

I aint got alot of room at my place but RT 20 is right down the street. Im located in NW Indiana. For further info I have a NG transportation parkinglot 1/2 a block away from me so you could park there and walk to my home. Theres also a HUGE Bass Pro shop in Portage which is less than 10min away from my home as well (Great place to look around, 5 min away from Lake Michigan)

Not sure what the time table is to be in my are but if I could drive a-ways with the convoy or provide some sort of support, let a brother know. Im a little awkward on the whole intoduction thing at first but I sing good and carry tools in the back of my blazer. This is providing Im not working at the station of course. If I can help in anyway with the trip please dont hesitate to call.

PS Oh... in Michigan City on RT 20 is the Great Lakes Military museum. Might wanna drop in there too. PM me for my cell

jatonka

Military Convoy on US Route 20

Hi all, yes, we are on Schedule, depart Ephratah, NY on July 31 at 06:30, make Buffalo NY evening of July 31st. Central OHIO by evening of Aug 1st. All On Route 20. No Interstates. I have a cell phone # 518 424 8455, anyone who is near route 20, would like to hear from you. We are pretty self contained.... trucks,beer, and a little money. Gene, I figure we will do route 30 out through your area and back in on Route 20, just like you figured. Really looking forward to Custer's Battlifield, Crazy Horse and MT. Rushmore. I am pretty pumped about this trip. JT out

rsh253

Having just moved to Charlotte & buying my first Deuce (I trailered my MB and the gen trailer from Seatte in Feb.), when I first looked at this trip, it sounded really interesting but nothing I could participate in. Now that I've looked into it some more, now I'm planning on driving the Deuce to DC and travel with the Convoy to the first rest day in Ohio, and then head back home. I'm going to be working this next year to improve the deuces reliability. I'm replacing the 40 yr old wiring harness as we speak as a first step. (Going pretty well, except some of the bolts holding wiring clips that haven't been turned in 40 yrs are giving me quite a fight.)

I'm sure there's others out there that don't have the time, money, or wife to do the entire trip, but give some thought to doing a portion.

If anyone needs a place to stay in Charlotte on the way to DC from SC, GA, FL or ?, let me know. We have lots of room. Plus the new neighbors may not think I'm quite such a big nut if they see there's other folks in this hobby.

-Russ

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks