• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078A1 starter will not crank

I'm working with a STEWART & STEVENSON LMTV and the thing will not crank. I've tried everything I can think of. The driver got fuel and said the lights were flashing when wipers would run and after filling up there was a hard start. It hasn't started since... The truck has been hooked up to Dr. Diesel, dash is all apart, tapped on starter????? The starter is getting power, but will not turn over. Anyone with any ideas please share.

sandcobra164

Do you have power being applied to the starter solenoid small wire? There is a relay on the driver's side frame rail that you could check as well. Honestly, you've likely got a bad starter solenoid on the starter itself. In the National Guard, we change out a starter on these trucks most every time we go to the field. My Soldiers have gotten it down to a simple 45 minute job. The motor and windings are usually fine but you know the Army won't give us a simple solenoid to put on, they just give us a whole starter. I have changed the solenoids before on these, it's a fairly easy job and I believe will be all you need to get back underway. Don't go crazy tightening the bolts back down, you'll likely need to be able to get them back out in a few years time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks