• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rim and Tire Question - For a 1986 M1031

Jozseph

Been read posting the last few days (new member on this board) - I am purchasing a 1986 M1031 for a daily work truck.

From reading;

The largest tires that can be used without any lift or fender snipping are 285/75 16?
Is this correct?

The standard rim on the M1031 are 16 x 6.5 - 8 lug?
Is this correct?

If the above is correct, will 16 x 7 - 8 lug rims with 285/75 16 tires fit without lifting or fender snipping?

Asking as 285/75 16 tire information I have read at the tires manufactures site recommends a 7 inch wide rim minimum. Yes only .5 inch wider

Comment and or advice?

Thank You

Joseph

richingalveston

I believe you are interpreting the rim width wrong. The 6.5 you are reading is the hole spacing on the rim for the wheel studs. They are 6.5 inches from center to center. The standard cucv rim I believe is 8 inches wide bead to bead. And the rim width is not a huge issue a half inch in width will not bother the tire.
33 inches tall and 12.5 inches wide is the largest you can put on a stock cucv with stock rims and you might get some minor rubs when in heavy offroad conditions

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, the 8 lug factory rims are 6 1/2 inches wide. I run 255/85R16s on Ford rims which are 7" wide. The 255 is ever so slightly taller than the 285. They fit just fine on the front. Rear fit will be a non issue except on the M1010 ambulance but they do fit their albeit close.

Jozseph

I was looking at ford rims as they are 16 x 7 - 8 lug{from a Ford Econoline E250 E350 Van], located 4 new take offs rims factory black for $315.00 delivered

STA Bias ply 9x16 will get you up to a 36 inch tall tire. They are hard to balance and will hold a flat spot on the bottom awhile after sitting. I run the 14 ply tires. no issues yet except the balance. Going to try the two golf balls in the tire trick as the equal is not working consistently.

cucvrus

Also be extra careful putting Ford 8 lug steel wheels on a CUCV period. All the weight is on the studs of the axle. If you notice the OEM wheels that came standard ride tight on the center axle hub. The Ford steel wheels do not touch the center axle hub. That puts all the weight on the studs at all times. I have seen 2 of these wheels fail and have seen the studs fail due to the overload of the studs. I am sure it don't happen often but it was on a M1028 truck that got used like a truck everyday. The last time the front wheel / studs broke was on I 81S at 65 mph and that truck was just a parts truck after that stud / wheel failure. Yes in could have been avoided by not changing the wheels to the incorrect wheels. It did go around in circles and all that good stuff. But after the first wheel failure I told the owner he was a non believer. The second wheel failure he was still in denial. He sold me the salvage and 3 of the other wheels had cracks at the center web area of the mounting flange. Don't Do It. You would think 9/16" x * would be strong enough it is not. To much kenetic energy going on without any support on the center of the rotating object.

Jozseph

What size is the recommended hole in the center for a steel rim?

I am looking/considering 16 x 8 steel rims, these are not the Ford's rims.

Or any recomendation for steel rims in 16 X 8 ?

cucvrus

I don't know the center hole size on the chevy one ton truck off the top of my head. Do you have an OEM wheel that you can measure? I can look quickly. I believe it is 4 3/8" the center hole on the 1 ton M1008 CUCV. I was surprised to see. I have a Ford wheel as a spare. Don't know how that happened.

Special T

Equil does not work well when moisture is introduced to the tire. It allows the Equal powder to clump up instead of evenly distribute. I dont think you will have sucess with golf balls, not to mention that at high speed and longer run times the balls will deteriorate the inner line of the tire. I have seen more than a couple of semi tires that were destroyed using them.

Jozseph

STA Bias ply 9x16 will get you up to a 36 inch tall tire. They are hard to balance and will hold a flat spot on the bottom awhile after sitting. I run the 14 ply tires. no issues yet except the balance. Going to try the two golf balls in the tire trick as the equal is not working consistently.

FWIW......look at ESCO liquid truck tire balancer, see the following URL;

www.esco.net/uploads/20471.pdf

I have not used this product, came across this as I am looking for balancing items for my own use.

Also ESCO markets/manufactures Balancing Beads see URL;

http://www.esco.net/tire-changing-equipment/home.php?cat=19

Regards

Joseph

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks