• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drive shaft brake for 205 t-case

richingalveston

I just finished my drive shaft brake install. It is a TSM driveshaft brake for a 205 transfer case. I have a CV style output flange and they did not make a rotor for this so I had one made. I took the flange to a fab shop and had them cut me a rotor from 3/16 steel and then welded it to the flange.

The brake seams to really grab well but that is just turning with a ratchet and not the weight of the vehicle.
I will find out soon how well it works.
The Trans is going to the trans shop to be broken down and gone through. I want to be sure the TCI piece of crap controller did not mess anything up. I am purchasing an Opti-shift controller next week and burning the TCI.
The driveshaft brake was one of my items to do while I had it out hopefully one last time.

Soon the 4l80e with ORD magnum 205 will be back in the 1009.

Rich

Attachments

MatthewH

Are you running one of there cables, or modifying the existing parking cable?
Looking at this setup for my M37 project, since I lost the original drum/band setup in conversion

richingalveston

I made an extension for my existing cable but I do not like it. Not confident it will hold. The cable has some pretty good stress with your foot setting it. I wish the eye that you run the cable through had a roller on it.
I am considering buying one of their cables. I have it out of the truck waiting on transmission. When I put it back together I may try something different from my makeshift extension.

llong66

Hi! Just curious about your setup. The 205 has the PTO, correct? Is the brake you installed for the PTO shaft? I have no experience with these and like I said, am just curious.

Thanks,
Greg

richingalveston

I do not have the PTO option on my 205. My drive shaft brake is on the rear output. My rear output is a CV style flange and not a U-joint. The rotor for the brake had to be made and then welded to the flange. The manufacturer for the brake does not have a rotor to fit the cv flange so I made my own.

When looking at the back of the t-case the PTO option would be hanging off the left side, opposite the front output.

llong66

Thanks for the explanation Rich, if its not a PTO, why do you need a brake on the drive shaft then? Still a lil confused! lol

richingalveston

I upgraded my rear drums to disc. I did not want to use the expensive, sometimes troublesome cadilac brakes with the built in parking brake. I used the standard small piston calipers without the parking brake so I would not have a cable at the rear wheel to get hung up while wheeling. I want the truck to be street legal so I must add another parking brake.

It is not an emergency brake and an emergency brake is not required. just a parking brake.

I also have modified my 14bolt rear differential to my own design of disc brakes...and have thought of adding a parking brake as the auto trans is also about to get swapped out in favor of a nv4500 5 speed trans....but im mounting my parking brake on the differential as if i loose the rear driveline the brake will still be functional.

richingalveston

The differential brake works the same as the t-case brake. I went with t-case brake because the differential brake will have the tendency to take more damage off road. The T-case brake takes a much shorter brake line that is tucked neatly up in the frame and not hanging down. Also if you loose the rear drive shaft, you still have a brake.

Those are the things that made me switch to the t-case brake instead of differential.

I had to make a custom rotor because TSM does not make one to work on the flange style yoke that works with the cv style driveshaft.

Rich

I think you have it backwards if your rear driveline goes out how would your e brake still be functional ? Unless the path of mechanical resistance is thru the front differential and keep in mind 4wd would need to be engaged to have a functional e brake if the rear driveline is lost. And with the brake hooked to the rear differential you dont have the stresses on the u joints as weĺl
Im designing a independent e brake pedal to hydraulic system so the brake caliper on the rear differential uses a hydraulic line and not a lever or mechanical link...as in my pov running a hose is easier thàn a cable.

The differential brake Iworks the same as the t-case brake. I went with t-case brake because the differential brake will have the tendency to take more damage off road. The T-case brake takes a much shorter brake line that is tucked neatly up in the frame and not hanging down. Also if you loose the rear drive shaft, you still have a brake.

Those are the things that made me switch to the t-case brake instead of differential.

I had to make a custom rotor because TSM does not make one to work on the flange style yoke that works with the cv style driveshaft.

Rich

richingalveston

check to make sure hydraulic park brake line is still street legal. I am not sure. I thought the regs say you have to have a mechanical parking brake not sure if that includes hydraulic lines. I am keeping my rig street legal.

On my t-case it is double sticked so I can run front wheel drive only. The only time I am worried about loosing a drive shaft is when wheeling so It will be in four wheel drive if the rear was lost. In off road situations the t-case brake seamed to be a better brake. Yes you get a little slack due to u-joints but the slack is equal front to rear where as with the brake on the rear axle in 4 wheel drive the fronts would never do any braking until the rear tires slid due to the extra u-joints in the rear drive shaft.

Where I live it is flat we never use the parking brake so my design criteria is based solely when off road. It is not an emergency brake, only a parking brake to be used when needed.

yes it is always good to use it when parked but not really necessary on flat land.

your situation may be different. I would probably go with the calipers with built in brake if I were going to put it on the axle.

One thing about the TSM brake is that it does rattle a little at times and you want to make sure your adjustment lets the pads completely clear the rotor or it will be worse.

The calipers I used are the dana 60 front ones so not the same as the caddy calipers wont fit my setup as the rotors are smaller in width and diameter.

Ive read that the NP200, 201 tc,s brake can be adapted to the NP205.
Sorry to say ive also read that it only works on the figure 8 or racetrack design NP205 so that leaves me out on the bloody cold but I still have a truck it will fit on so no worries with that one.

The shaft to the left of the brake drum is a pto shaft.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks