• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gettin the shims out

hummer4x4guy

Well good news good news...
I have all 8 nuts off the upper a-arm to remove the one final shim on each connecting point.
But odd thing is that this one I will be removing isnt slotted... anyone know why there is one left in which you have to pull the bolts all the way out?
I will also replace the upper ball joint.

BTW removing the half shaft is the best way to go if you have to remove shims. Gives lots of room under there.
Just got done with lunch and few beers... might have to wait for the beer to disapate before I try and operate heavy equipment tho
Hope to finish this off today.
joel

ElkyRacer

That must be a pretty current 998 as those are newer added shims(not slotted) to compensate for extra weight, it acheives more of a base Camber setting. Been doing alignments and frame buildup on them for quite a while now. Why are you trying to take them out? Heres the easy way to replace shims.

Take off the tire.
Pull the CV axle retaining bolt out of hub.
Take an 1 1/8 impact wobble socket, and take both control arm bolts out. (if replacing balljoint, remove balljoint from hub/a-arm now)
Now you can get to the bolts, 3/8 drive 3/4 socket and breakover bar to hold backup on the nuts, and loosen bolts. You shouldnt have to take the nuts off completley, just loosen them and the shims will fall out. Add or remove shims, reverse order.

Kyle

hummer4x4guy

Kyle
This frame is from an unknown year humvee (junk yard) I had to remove them to try and get my camber better and its still sitting to much like \ / tho not THAT bad of course. But yeah I did get the 2 out and did it the hard way but it wasnt all that bad. I had a day of nothing else to do... sorta
I will have to do the other side at some point also.... *yeah fun*

BTW Kyle what do you know about Red River parts? I will be going by their place tomorrow or Saturday and I emailed them to see if they have room to park a semi there so I can look around at what they have for humvees...
Thanks
Joel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks