• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DFW to St Louis trip, any suggested stops?

Cooltex24

Hey guys,
I am taking a trip on Wed from Dallas/Ft Worth up to St Louis and back to move my little sister to school, and I am wondering if there are any good places to stop and shop along the way, probably going to go through tulsa and out I44.
Scott

Cooltex24

Hmmm.... that sounds like a good detour. just have to find out if I can access the place on Sat or Sun when I come through.
Scott

mcmullag

Just throwing out an idea...

You could stop in Rolla, MO and do some research on what appears to be a house surrounded by MV vehicles. Maybe take some pics and maybe see who they are and if they sell. I drove by there 3 years ago before I knew about this site and the hobby. It's on the right side of state highway 63 as you head south outta Rolla, just a few miles outta town from the Super Walmart. I remember I saw at least one GOER there.

Cooltex24

RE: Just throwing out an idea...

hey mcmullag, now that sounds like a stop to make. I was planning on taking I44 all the way, and it looks like it is right on the interstate. Thanks.
Scott

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

SCott,
Not a place that you can shop - but definately a place you can stop. Just West of Rolla on I-44 is Ft. Leonard Wood (at St. Roberts, MO). On post, in a single building are three museums - Corps of Engineers, Chemical Corps and Military Police. Across the street from this modern, air conditioned building are several display vehicles, and a collection of restored WWII base structures (mess hall, barracks, etc., etc.).

All these things I found very interesting.

Have safe travels.

Regards,
David Doyle

citizensoldier

On the east side of St Louis there is a town called Alton, Ill.. Sits right on the Mississippi river. This guy has landing craft, big trucks, gamma goats, lots of stuff along with a small museum of cool things. If you need better directions PM me and I will get them for you.

mo-mudder

Hit Lambert's Cafe in Springfield, MO, on your way up. Actually in Ozark, MO, it's on Hwy 65 just south of Springfield. It's called 'Home of Throwed Rolls' for a reason. Also, the guy in Rolla, I've been told, is a real jackass (like Donkey from Shreck, moderators), and fetches a premium for every piece of olive iron he has. Where will she be attending? If you wanna hook up for some beers and pork steaks, I'll be happy to host. I'm pretty much on the way to town coming up I-44.

Cooltex24

Hey Mo Mudder, I will have to hit it on the way down. Came in last night. Stayin in downtown. is there a good restraunt for steaks here? I will PM you my cell. and I think i am going to try the guy in Rolla on Sat, if you want to join.
Scott

mo-mudder

Oh boy, you want a steak. Yea, there's a few, depending on how much you want to spend. The BEST is called Ruth's Chris' Steakhouse. Figure on dropping about $150-170 there. At Sam's Steakhouse, you can figure on about $100. When are you making the trip?

Cooltex24

ouch. how bout a little less expensive. I am on a bugget here, lol. although i bet they are great steaks.

Citizen, did you get my PM? I would like to go see if I could see that guy's place tomorrow, as we have a free day, but have not heard from you yet. LMK.

Got all the stuff moved in today, so planin on takin the day off tomorrow to explore. If anyone wants to join me on Sat mornin to go to Rolla and see if we can see that guy's house, PM me. Probably try to leave St Louis by 9am.

Scott

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor

The restuarant in the Drury Plaza near Chesterfield has a great steak, and though higher than Bonanza, is not too steep.

Fort Leonard Wood is in St. Robert, MO - at the FLW exit, north of the interstate, and west of the exit (base is south of the exit) is a MUCH better than average steak buffet.

Best wishes,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks