• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pics from Ft Hood

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some pics from todays visit to Ft Hood TX.
Some cool, some very sombering....

Just about everything down here is FMTV, I only saw a handful of 900 series 5 tons, and they were all expando vans.. Not a M35 or M800 series in sight, except for at the meuseam..

The convoy pic was a bunch of trucks getting ready to do convoy live fire training.

The 4 ID memorial is very moving......

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
That sculpture was made by an Iraqi man who understood the real issue in Iraq. It is too bad others do not understand what we are fighting for.

Fort Hood is a great place, I was in the First Cavalry Division from 1988 to 1993 and Fort Hood has everything a Soldier needs to live and train for war. It is over 100 miles around the post if you drive the extreme perimeter roads from North Fort to South Fort near the Airfield.

Thanks for posting this Mark
Hooah

dabtl

A friend was the curator for the museum for many years until he became chronically ill. The museum is great with all the static displays. There are many more waiting their turn to get put out for display.

The investment we have in the military is vastly apparent by a drive along Hell on Wheels Blvd. Hundreds of M1 tanks were there the last time I visited the base.

My avatar was taken there while shooting with the 1st Cav artillery shooting direct fire at the end of a training cycle.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like how the museums are finally jacking up the trucks on jackstands to prevent the tires from leaking air, rotting out and looking like crap.

sparkylisle

Re: RE: Pics from Ft Hood

Hundreds of M1 tanks were there the last time I visited the base.

Actually, Ft. Hood is a Post not a Base. An easy way to remember that is the Army has posts and all other services have bases. That's why the Army has PX's (post exchange).

I spent some time on Ft Hood in the early 80's on TDY from Ft Riley. Can't say I really cared for it. YMMV

jasonjc

RE: Re: RE: Pics from Ft Hood

I was at Ft Hood from '91-'92 with the Frist CAV D co 227AVN Regt. If they had sent me back there from Gremany, I would have stayed in longer. Once a trooper always a trooper at heart. IF YOU ANIT CAV YOU ANIT **** :)

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics from Ft Hood. My favorite is the small scale M978 HEMTT tanker, that if you look carefully, you can tell what it really is....

Attachments

ajg6989

I worked as a volunter at both museums from 95 to 98. The M60s all ran and were alot of fun to drive. I have a vhs tape of some of us volunteers driving them. The M728 CEV ran. The deuces all ran. Two of the stewarts ran one on a deuce engine and one on the orginal radial. The russian equipement ran but the T-72 was air start. The 113s ran. The M18 ran and so did the M10. The M3 lee was complete but never got to start it. The M1E1 was completely striped on the inside. The M5 stuart had a blown head on one of the cadillacs. I tried to get the M47 to turn over but it would just click even with a slave from the M60.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
When I was there, 1988 through 1993 all the tanks from 1st Cav and 2AD were on motorpool road and we had 350 of them in the Cavalry alone. Fort Hood is a great place and any true Soldier loves it. Big enough to train, lots of MRW activities a PX and Commisary that stayed open hours longer than anywhere else and best of all it is in TEXAS and by the way how about them Cowboys...America's Team

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks