• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Brand Spanking New M37 Transfer Case --- Yup...Still Noisy

SasquatchSanta

If you've ever worried about your noisy M37 transfer case don't!

Yesterday I confirmed something I already knew when I replaced the transfer case in my M37 (The Woogie) with a brand spanking new (NOS) "still in the cosmoline" TC.

The new case removed quite a bit of slop in the driveline but not a whole heck of a lot of noise.

With completely rebuilt front and rear differentials which include new 489 ring gears and pinions, new (NOS) transfer case and new (NOS) late model transmission I've probably got as close as you can get to a new M37 drive train and there is still an appreciable amount of noise.

By design --- the M37 transfer case is a chatter box.

As a side note --- I firmly believe the 489 gears will remove an appreciable amount of heat from the TC.

SasquatchSanta

RE: Brand Spanking New M37 Transfer Case --- Yup...Still Noi

I bought the new case from John Bizal at Midwest Military approximately 10 years ago.

I doubt if you could find a new case today.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Re: RE: Brand Spanking New M37 Transfer Case --- Yup...Still

SasquatchSanta said:
I bought the new case from John Bizal at Midwest Military approximately 10 years ago.

I doubt if you could find a new case today.
Now that's planning ahead, Ernie!

What, no pics of the new t-case?! :p

SasquatchSanta

RE: Re: RE: Brand Spanking New M37 Transfer Case --- Yup...S

I forgot about taking a picture until it was installed.

I could take one from under the truck but it would also include the "Home Sweet Home" sign I mounted on the underside of the floorboard. I've been spending so much time laying under and looking up at that truck I thought I might as well have a Home Sweet Home sign to make me feel at home while I'm doing creeper time.
<grinning> :)

Bill W

I bought my nos transfer from John in 98 ( $375.00) it had M-715 flange/yokes on it, your right they are louder then a broke in transfer, but my noise went away when I bought complete gov rebuilt front and rear axles/diff assemblies from from Wingington surplus for $300.00ea ( they even came with nos drums) Yep those days are gone!!.
The nos (M715) tranfer made my speedo read 5mph faster what does your read

SasquatchSanta

98 was about the same time I bought my transfer case and it also came with 715 yokes

I didn't know they would quiet down as they wear in. That's good news.

My spedo is also running fast.

I've got a Sun Tach mounted on the steering column. Yesterday @ 2,400 RPM the speedo indicated approx 52 MPH. This weekend I'm going to do a MPH, RPM, speedo check @ 2,500 RPM. It will be interesting to see how the 489 gears and 715 TC will shake out on the speedo.

I'll post the results.

SasquatchSanta

Last weekend I had an opportunity to so some speed checks with the 489 gears and M-715 speedo gear/transfer case.

I'm running Denman 305/85R16 (36" Dia) tires.

At 2,500 RPM I'm running 55 MPH.

With the M-715 speedo gear the speedo also reads 55 MPH at 2,500 RPM.

The M715 spedo gear with the 489 gears and 36" rubber is a perfect combination.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Transfer cases

ucfjeeper, look at the post right above yours. John says he has them in stock.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks