• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ok, egt, boost, turning up the fuel, and lockouts and power

Lee Alessi

ok, i got my lockouts on, that was easy and turning was too.

i put the power steering on last night, it was easy, and steering is weird now. steers like a normal truck

i got home today and decided to turn up the fuel. i got it turned up and went from:
5lbs of boost, 900 degrees
-to-
12lbs boost and 1100 degrees!! it goes 0-60 in about 1/4 to 1/2 mile where it used to go 0-50 in 1+ miles

smokes like a freight train and really, really runs!!

i found why it didnt start quick. the fuel inlet on the injector pump was leaking (weeping) and the return lines on the injector lines were too. now it starts on first crank.

replaced my ujoints too.....

Westech

CPL
I turned up the fuel on mine last week also and WOW it moves. If I start moving and stand on it it Will spin all 8 tires. But I thinks its a bit much it jumps to 1000 and my pyro is after the turbo. But yes it is a blast [thumbzup]

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea the difference is unbelieveable. I sure puts a lot more fun into driving it! The only problem is all that fuel your drinking because your foot is on the floor all the time. Now all you need is a school bus to pass!

Lee Alessi

ok.
long(ish) story.

i got the egt gauge in last week. i ran it for a while to see what it would run at consistantly. when i got home the other day i called a friend who talked me through it. my injector pump cover is missing, and after arguuing i saw no cover, but a stud with 2 nuts.... we figured it out. in taking off the retaining wire i figured out that my nuts were so loose i could move them by hand. anyway i turned it until i noticed the stud moving. why? i dont know. i just did.

anyway i turned it till i could see a good bit of shiny thread. then i got on the road. it only bumped to 1000... WTF? so i tuned it a few more times and it got to 1050. i turned it a few more and its at 1100 now. today im going to hit the mississippi river bridge and see how it does.

i would NOT do it without a gauge.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mcinfantry, how are you loading the engine? On a level highway you will not see 1,200 degrees except perhaps briefly during acceleration.
My loaded deuce holds 900 degrees with a boost of 4-6 psi on a level highway at 55 mph.
When hitting a hill the boost will climb to 12 psi and the pyro goes to 1,100+ at which time I ease off.
Make sure the engine is at 185 deg, too.

Don't know if you installed a boost gauge or not, but it will tell you how well your turbo is working.

My deuce seems to have plenty of power and I havn't turned the fuel up (yet). I do notice when the fuel filters need to be changed, though, it effects the top speed some (not enough fuel to maintain speed).

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hello all,
Another new guy here, great site! Im on my third duece (had to sell first 2 for the new baby). Any way, I just turned up my fuel and am getting 20+ pounds of boost, my guage maxes out. Ive only done about 2 quick runs through 2-3 gear then let off since I have experience melting pistons. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! My autometer pyrometer should arrive tomorrow, I know I'm probably waaaaayy into the danger zone on exhaust temp. The one thing I havent see anybody doing is changin the airfilter. I removed my stock canister/paper filter and put in a K&N filter thats 6" in diameter and 13" long with a fabbed up heat shield, it flows around 1300cfm of air as opposed to 410 cfm with the stock paper. That might help keep the egt's down. I have the 465 1D motor. I put boost guages on my first 2 dueces to compare the 1C and 1D motors. The 1D put out almost 2 pounds more of boost (both were stock), although it doesnt sound nearly as cool as the whistler. Anyway, Im glad I found this site and plan on keeping this truck.

Dieselsmoke

Devin said:
Hello all,
Another new guy here, great site! Im on my third duece (had to sell first 2 for the new baby). Any way, I just turned up my fuel and am getting 20+ pounds of boost, my guage maxes out. Ive only done about 2 quick runs through 2-3 gear then let off since I have experience melting pistons. UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! My autometer pyrometer should arrive tomorrow, I know I'm probably waaaaayy into the danger zone on exhaust temp. The one thing I havent see anybody doing is changin the airfilter. I removed my stock canister/paper filter and put in a K&N filter thats 6" in diameter and 13" long with a fabbed up heat shield, it flows around 1300cfm of air as opposed to 410 cfm with the stock paper. That might help keep the egt's down. I have the 465 1D motor. I put boost guages on my first 2 dueces to compare the 1C and 1D motors. The 1D put out almost 2 pounds more of boost (both were stock), although it doesnt sound nearly as cool as the whistler. Anyway, Im glad I found this site and plan on keeping this truck.
Actually I have done just that, I have an AFE filter stuck on there right now, I want to mess around with it some and see if I can't get one to work with the stock housing. Only reason I stuck this one on was a customer ordered it and never cameto pick it up :nono:

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Devin,20 PSI? I can't believe you haven't ended up with a cylinder head in your lap! You must be putting out some serious black smoke!!!! The tree huggers out there have got to be loosing sleep. If that boost guage it correct then i'd guess your at least 1700 Deg. Man good luck!! I swapped to a wix paper filter before i turned up the IP. I'd like to get a K N for the stock housing. I need the deep water fording kit in my off road adventers.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yeah I couldnt believe it when I saw the
boost guage max out. I only did 2 quick bursts for fun. I'm almost done with the egt guage install, curious to see how high it is with that much fuel, I installed the guage pre turbo. I tried to make the filter fit in the stock housing but I would have to cut and make it deeper.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Finally got my pyrometer installed,(pre turbo), At 20lbs of boost on full throttle blasts through all the gears till she hits top speed on level ground, the egt peaks out at 1150 deg. Im sure it will climb much higher on hills so I'll have to get it dialed in using hill tests. It is now unbearably loud, I think I'm gonna throw a muffler on. I have'nt seen how much black smoke its puking so I'll take the top off today and watch. The best part of it is I can actually keep up with traffic when the light turns green. The next step is to put on my M105 bed and get rid of the 3rd axle. Unfortunately for me I live in a track house with a homeowners association so I have to make the truck look less commercial like. If I leave it stock it falls into the classification of an oversized vehicle and the city will start citing me. Im already paying $75 a month to store a motorhome and my wife wont let me convert our side yard into storage.

Santa Clarita, California :nono: [:(!]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks