• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MMMT & Hillman, MI VJ Day Celebration

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This ones next weekend . 8-10 thru 8-12.
The Michigan Museum of Military Transport, puts on a display in conjunction with a local Museum.

Whos' going?
I haven't officially committed as I am still working on the trucks taday!
Thinking of bringing both the M880 and a M886.

The GPW isn't assembled yet, maybe by next year.

citizensoldier

Thanks for posting this Bob. I was going to put a write up about it but thought maybe Bigbee would have done it allready or was in the works? I will be there with the M109, Dave P, OpieNoTool,Bigbee?,Dan Klatt, John in St Helen, I think Nate, maybe Clint from Coleman,and you!

citizensoldier

Here is the GLMVPA info from there site.

Victory Over Japan Day Celebration

August 10-12, 2007 Brush Creek Mill Museum: Hillman, Michigan

The fine people at the Brush Creek Mill Museum in Hillman have once again invited the

Michigan Museum of Military Transport to put on a display as part of that city's VJ Day

Celebration. Hillman is one of the few communities in the nation that continues to observe the day that WW2 ended. This display, in conjunction with a huge parade sponsored by the Hillman Veterans of Foreign Wars, is greatly appreciated by people from throughout Northeastern Michigan, though visitors come from all over the country.

At the 2006 display, members of the Museum brought five trucks and assorted trailers for display, and set up the sales booth.

For the Museum members, the 2007 display is being expanded to a two and a half day event, with set-up starting on Friday, August 10th and closing on Sunday, August 12th. Details regarding accommodations are being worked out, but motels

and campsites are available in the area.

MMMT's Event Coordinator for Hillman is Brian Morrison at (231) 582-2364.

RE: Here is the GLMVPA info from there site.

I was hoping people were coming-only had commitments from 2 or 3. I won't be there-didn't get my request in for the day off early enough. Found out at Grayling show that I need to get a lighter display case for the models, anyway. 4 young bucks or 7 of us old guys to get it on and off the trailer.

The main Museum Display set up will be in the baseball field across the river from the Mill Museum, with one big truck or a couple little ones on the front lawn of the mill. GP Medium and sales canopy, plus MAYBE one of the newer style tents for inside displays. Primitive camping on site, so no one has to be far away from the vehicles overnight. Breakfast at VFW on Saturday AM, at Senior Center on Sunday, Cookout and live music on Saturday night and maybe Friday night, too.

Also, anyone interested in driving in the VFW's parade let me know ASAP and they'll set aside space for us----ahead of the politicians and whatnot.

citizensoldier

RE: Here is the GLMVPA info from there site.

Need more info Bigbee? Who is bringing the tent? Thought we would naturaly have spots in the parade? Who is bringing the tent and setting it up? What day and time are they going to be there? There was nothing in the newsletter was there? Maybe I missed it?

RIGHT ON THE FRONT PAGE!!

The July 3MT Newsletter had both the Canoe Marathon and the VJ Hillman Show on the front page, although there are no more details there than you and I posted above. A lot of the other details will depend on who takes charge at the site.

We don't "naturally" have spots in the parade because they are two separate events at the same place. The VFW runs the parade, and the Brush Creek Mill people run the historic display. If everyone wants to sign up for the parade, I'll call Edith and she'll let the VFW know.

The museum's GP Medium tent is in the back of the M880, which Nate's bringing up. He'll be there Friday, not sure of the time. As far as setting it up, hopefully everyone who shows up will be willing to help. If anyone has a set of stakes they could donate to the Museum, it would be helpful. Right now, we're using stakes for a small.

citizensoldier

RE: RIGHT ON THE FRONT PAGE!!

Hard to sighn up for a parade that I dont know the day or time to be there? I will call Nate and see what time he will arrive. I do remember the picture but no info like you mentioned. There again I and others knew nothing about the parade or who was in charge of it. Call Edith tell her there will be trucks for the parade but we dont know how many yet.. Probably about 7 to 10 trucks..

We will be there with the Road Train. we plan on going after i get out of work on Friday evening. when ever that may be???? Hopefully without any more FIRES!!! John / Bob * we are setting up just south of last years location. just across the river on the ball Field.

Parade time

Sorry, Lane. Forgot you missed last year. And the parade is not the main reason we're there. If you had called me to let me know you're interested, I could have let you know more about it. And there was no picture on the front page of the newsletter, just general information about setting up on Friday and staying until Sunday.

The parade is in the middle of the day on Saturday, so it doesn't matter what time you get there and set up on Friday. Those who want to join the march will probably have to leave the display site sometime around 9, go up the hill to the hall, and wait. The parade route is ALL DOWNHILL, so make sure you brakes work There are nearly 300 veterans and others on foot. If you're just going for the parade, don't worry about going to the ball field, just stop at the hall at the top of the hill when you get into town on Saturday.

If you do parade, Because of the traffic, pedestrians, the size of the vehicles you're driving, don't plan on being back to the ball field until about 1 or so. That's one reason why no one paraded last year.

citizensoldier

RE: Parade time

During the MMMT survey I informed Ron that I would be going to the Hillman show. Should and does not matter if I was there last year. What about others that were not there last year and want to make a showing? Dave was there last year and knew nothing? Nobody else seems to know what was going on. Its the job of the event coordinater to contact people and or post info for them to schedule there time for a event. Members should not have to scrounge around to find out what is going on. Looks like I will be there representing the GLMVPA Tipp of The Mitt..I will converse with you more in the PM .. Enough said here.. Iola is sounding good at this time...

citizensoldier

RE: 2006 Parade

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: Not pissed off about anything. What point is it that I wasnt there last year? What does the display case have to do with the info we all need? Time is valuable to most of us and we need adequate info.. I am and have tried to help the museum allot... But.. aua The echo from my head is getting old.. The two last brain cells keep falling on the floor... Need some grease to get them to talk to each other again..

odjeeper

Well, if all goes as planned I should be able to make Hillman this year. Am supposed to be working in Alpena on Friday then stop in Hillman afterward to help out and stay for the weekend. Can certainly understand the value of everyone's time, can't really afford to be there timewise, but the museum is definitely a worthwhile project. I know that everyone's efforts on behalf of MMMT are very much appreciated. This will be my first time to this event as well, so don't feel too left out citizensoldier, I don't know what to expect yet either, just planning to roll with it and have some fun along the way. The reports from last year where that the folks in Hillman were very appreciative of the muesum's presence and went out of their way to make sure everyone felt welcome.

The parade starts at 12 noon on Saturday. Form up is near the church and Village hall at the top of the hill.

There will be portable toilets at the ball field camping and display site, and access to the campground next door for bathroom and showers. Water is available at the campground also, or jugs can be filled at the Mill Museum while it's open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks