• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bumper fabrication, and is cucv same as 1988 k5 blazer?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been contemplating fabricating heavy bumpers for CUCVs. I don't have a CUCV but I have access to a bumper off of a 1988 k5 blazer and intermittent access to that truck for measurements. If I make the bumpers to fit this k5 will they also fit the CUCV? My research says yes, but I want to be sure.

I'm looking at several designs, and may make some of each design. The other post from 2012 shows a good design that I like a lot and plan to duplicate, but that is more along the lines of a high end aftermarket civvy bumper.

I'm also approaching this from the angle of "how would the military have done it", in a no frills utilitarian mindset. Here are Some of my ideas:

1) Using C-channel to make something very similar in appearance and function to the bumper and frame extensions on my M925, with integrated winch mount and with steel pipe brushguard. Lose the OEM shackle mounts and add some similar in location to the M939 series trucks. Essentially a CUCV version of the M939 bumper. Maybe use 5" angle instead of C-channel...

2) just plain rectangular structural steel tubing (8x4?) with steel plate frame extensions to mount to the truck frame. Shackle mounts as above. No integrated winch mount. Brushguard roughly identical to OEM.

3) rear bumpers similar to #2 above.

The CUCVs in general are square. This tempts me to use square tubing for the brush guards. Opinions?

The general square nature of the CUCVs dissuades me from just using round schedule 40 pipe for the main body of the bumper.

I'd finish these in plain rattlecan flat black. That would go well with any color vehicle and is cheap and easy to touch up.

I'm thinking I can hit a price point on these no frills bumpers at under $2 per lb. This is half to 2/3 the cost of the high end civvy bumpers. I'm not looking for any committed buyers at this point. I'm just looking for general level of interest and some feedback and ideas. You may see some of these appear on the SS classifieds over the next few weeks.

98G

cucvrus

Yes they will fit. The civilian K5 Blazer bumpers front and rear are the same as the 1984-1987 CUCV M1009 minus the flat paint shackle support holes and the black out lamp holes. They are the same 1981-1991 in the K-5 Blazer civilian. Minus a few holes for front park turn lamps on earlier models. The front bumpers will fit all of the CUCV vehicles. I hope that helps.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A design I would purchase right now is a kit that would move the stock bumper and grille guard forward 8", provide a mounting location for a Warn type winch, and provides a diamond plate catwalk to the right and left of the winch, to fill the gap. Similar to the M715 w/w setup.

Skinny

That may be a great utility setup as it gives you a place to stand when working on the engine and possibly some storage recessed behind the bumper. I would also say that anyone looking to increase off road capability which is typically done with the addition of a winch is going to stay away from that. It would kill your approach angle which isn't spectacular with a stock sized truck.

There are lots of bumpers out on the market for a C/K and R/V body style truck. No one right now produces an off the shelf winch mount that puts in between the frame rails inverted. No one also produces a CUCV looking heavy duty bumper/grille guard in plate steel that could take any serious abuse as the OEM one has limitations.

nyoffroad

I've got a homemade front bumper on one of my trucks. It's pretty simple, just 2"x10" rectangular steel tube cut to length with a 4"x4" flat plate reinforcement welded around the shackle holes and some old expanded mesh (2"wide) tacked on top to stand on. I made it years about 12yrs ago so I could mount the upper snow plow frame and it still works great, People hear me coming and see that bumper and the GIT! If I was going to make another one I would cut and weld the ends at an angle so it wouldn't just be flat, I'd also cut some round holes for some fog/driving light.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20141109_093134.jpg20141109_094724.jpgThe pic is a design I came up with using C-channel, angle, and plate. The winchbox would have the c-channel in the front and 3x3x3/8 angle on 3 sides. The bottom of the winchbox would be 1/4" plate with 3 sides overlapping the 3" angle. I'd add a 1" hole somewhere(dead center?) in the winchbox to avoid trapping water. Dimensions of the winchbox would be 10x27.5 and whatever height works best with positioning the channel on the front of the truck.

The area to right and left could either be left open, or bridged with plate (3/16" ?)

Shackle mounts added to the bottom corners of the winchbox or perhaps to the top if it wouldn't interfere with the winch.

This design doesn't incorporate a brushguard although I could add one using 1/4" plate coming up from the sides of the winchbox to hood level as one anchor point and the edge of the c-channel where it meets the 3/16 " end wrap as the other anchor point. 3/4" pipe as the sides of the brushguard with 1" pipe between the 1/4" uprights.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This bumper has really piqued my interest. http://www.rlcweldfab.com/index.php/store#!/73-87-Front-Winch-Bumper/p/9437373/category=2125922I know it would sacrifice some approach angle but this is not an extreme off road vehicle. I've delayed in contacting them to see if they can make it to accommodate the Warn 18,000# MRAP winch as I want to try to fab an in frame mount first.
Agreed, this is a great design. No reason not to be able to attach the stock brush guard to it. My only critique is that the winch needs to be lower down in between the frame rails.

cucvrus

A design I would purchase right now is a kit that would move the stock bumper and grille guard forward 8", provide a mounting location for a Warn type winch, and provides a diamond plate catwalk to the right and left of the winch, to fill the gap. Similar to the M715 w/w setup.
What if you were to take a set of front frame horns/rails from a donor vehicle and bolt and weld that section of frame to the front of your frame. You could make it as long as you wanted and really beef it up for your winch and install everything back on as designed. Just an idea.

tim292stro

One idea I'm using on mine is to use 2" receiver tube where the factory tie downs are - and I want to do the same in the rear, and ensure the widths are the same. This way I can use them not only as tie downs, but can build accessories that mount to the receivers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks