• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV Front Winch Mount

dmilkman589

Would there be a market for this anywhere? The winch and the fare-lead are just for representative purposes obviously, but if I started popping these mounts out does anyone think they would sell? Slides right in place of existing lift hook mounts. Picture1.JPGPicture2.JPGPicture3.JPGPicture4.JPG

richingalveston

I like the looks of it but I thing you need to extend the mounts so you can put the shackles back on after installing the winch mount.
when pulling yourself out, sometimes you need to double the cable back using a snatch block/pully if the winch is small. With the shackles removed there is no place to connect the winch hook.

Also I think this needs its own thread and not be in this "what have you done to your cucv lately" thread
maybe a moderator can move it.
Rich

llong66

I really like your idea, I agree with being able to put the shackles on and I had thought about the idea of one set of "mounts" or square tubing on the top of the mount and another set on the bottom. The reason for this is to allow the winch to be mounted on the front or rear of my truck, The spacing between the shackle mounts is slightly different between the front and rear.
Just a thought.

Would there be a market for this anywhere? The winch and the fare-lead are just for representative purposes obviously, but if I started popping these mounts out does anyone think they would sell? Slides right in place of existing lift hook mounts. View attachment 527113View attachment 527114View attachment 527115View attachment 527116

AirForceOne

Very nice concept, should be pretty easy to build and sell. I'm going to fabricate a front 2" receiver for the multi mount winch I scored though.

lostintexas

You won't get rich building them but you should sell a handful (reasonably priced of course). I love the looks and the idea of using what's already there instead of going to a receiver hitch and still needing the mount. Handles will be a must otherwise it will be a bear to fit on in the mud even with two people and the ideas of making it work front or rear and the mount points are important. Well designed and nice looking!

Good luck.

MarcusOReallyus

Okay, I'll be the bad guy.

Build one and test it before you go any farther. It's very pretty, but it's very weak. The point where the tubes meet the shackle mount is carrying 100% of any down or up angled load, and even on a flat ground straight pull, that design makes that point an angle.

I think those are going to prove to be a weak point that will fail as soon as you put a substantial load on it. You are counting on a weld to hold the load against angled tearing forces, its weakest possible use. Not good.

Assuming that plate below is substantial and completely welded in (not just for pretty), you are okay on side-to-side forces. Your problem is up and down forces.

Add a brace like below, and now you have a very strong design. Now that angled load is being carried along two lines, instead of being concentrated on trying to pull one weld apart. One line is in compression (VERY strong), and one is in tension (also strong). The force on that lower weld is a shearing force, against which a weld is VERY strong.

Those braces will make good handles, too.

Add a few gussets in some corners (especially that rear tube), and you would have a very nice setup.

Assuming the shackle mounts themselves are adequate, that is. I don't know if they are or not.

Winch Mount.jpg

Last edited:

AirForceOne

That makes perfect sense, I hadn't considered it for the physics angle. The OE tow loops are pretty stout, but if you put a big boy winch on there (think Warn 16.5T) I imagine they will fail. You'll want to build one and test it out with full size winches, I'd start with an 8K and work my way up to find the limit.

I'll be going with a multi-mount only because I already have the setup.

Al Harvey

Add a brace like below, and now you have a very strong design. Now that angled load is being carried along two lines, instead of being concentrated on trying to pull one weld apart. One line is in compression (VERY strong), and one is in tension (also strong). The force on that lower weld is a shearing force, against which a weld is VERY strong.

Those braces will make good handles, too.

Add a few gussets in some corners (especially that rear tube), and you would have a very nice setup.
I agree with MarcusOReallyus and I really like his suggestions, not just a "it's weak". [thumbzup]

Don't forget to consider the bouncing of the winch since most people will probably leave it on the front of the truck (since it would take up a good deal of space). That can take a toll on welds over time. Another neat idea might be to build a plate that can be mounted in the back of the vehicle. Not sure if that makes sense, but basically a plate bolted to the floor with to bars sticking up (like the frame extensions) that the winch could be stowed on if someone doesn't want to leave it on the truck. Just a thought.

ssdvc

Depending on the cost, I would be very interested in one, as I am about to need a mount to do my winch.

MarcusOReallyus

I have no doubt they are strong when it comes to a nearly straight line pull. I'm just not sure about down or up forces on them. I'm not saying they are NOT, just that I don't know.

Nice to have a 5 ton around when you need it. :D These idiots could have used one. Of course, they could have used some brains, too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZqfrPW4Gic

Keith_J

Like the comments so far, I would like to see ability to mount front or rear. Using the NATO port and cables for powering. That way you could do recovery in either direction. But the problem still exists with the torque on the frame extensions, loads they were never intended to carry. I'm afraid they will bend.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting concept. Agree, stronger is better. Would be something that you definitely don't want to fail when you need it. Price would be a consideration. Shackle mounts are different width on M1009 also. Like the slave port idea for a power source. Could add another at the rear of the vehicle for use in that direction. Please keep us informed. Neat thread.

God bless,
Tony

Keith_J

It would be best to pivot the device on the shackle mounts, that way no bending forces on the frame extensions. You would need a stabilizing link until the line tension is built. Or some kind of spring device to keep it level.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks