• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hate to keep posting stupid questions

NCINIRATOR

Whats the cheat all about for switching the electrical from 24v to 12v? I hear read somewhere its a simple crossing of a wire, but doing so will put a strain on the front batter?

Heres why I ask. I would like to install some stuff in the truck, radio, cb, other little nick-nacks and what-not. Do I find a 12V line and trace it to a source and make a fuse box to run stuff off of? Not everything in the truck is 24V, signals gotta be 12V right?

I dont have a manual yet so i`m stumbling in the dark here.

85-m1028

there is a wiring block on the firewall that is 12volt, just trace the 8gauge wire that goes from the negative terminal of the rear batt over to it, there is a fusible link that keeps it in check so it is a good place to add accessories. there are smaller wires that connect to your glowplug relay coming out of a plug in the firewall that is about the size of a 50 cent peice, this plug would be a good place to drill a small hole stick a straw through and run you wire. When you get the wire in pull the straw and put some silicone or some type of sealer around the new hole in the plug, I am doing a 12volt conversion on my truck so I can use a newer style civilain glow plug relay and 60g plugs, I ordered two sets of new plugs from surplus "one to put in and one set for backup" and ended up with two sets of dead plugs within a month, but now if I fix my glow plug system I need to wait a week to get parts from surplus, why when I could just go to the parts store and get it same day!!

NCINIRATOR

Thanx for the info. What kept killing your plugs? I have a set of plugs from advanced auto parts, they looked them up under standard chevy parts for a 6.2 diesel, are they the right ones or do I need to get special frigin plugs too :eyes:

85-m1028

well my truck has some glow plug connectors that are smaller than the standard civy issue of a 1/4" so when I a set of autolight 1110 <- "I think that was the number" the tang on the glow plug was too big, so I took them back and called up a surplus outlet and they sent me some 13g ac delco plugs that fit the smaller connector, they told me that this was standard issue??, anyway I think my dropping resistor went bad any let all 24volts through, and I was getting 24volts at the relay so I switched the power lead over to the 12volt block put my backup set of plugs in, drove for a day and whadaya know the next day dead plugs!! :confused: so I may have a bad card, but I decided not to mess with just update. I am going to make a civy style harness that will plug into the existing in cab connector and use the newer style relay/controler

If it works I'll see if someone will put it up as a tech article for part of a 12v conversion :idea:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks