• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

air lockers ?

dawico

Everything is good besides the price and you have to have an air supply. They are the best of both worlds of an open diff and a locker.

That being said, I have no experience with a CUCV kit but air lockers are great.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said, all good but the expense. I doubt that I would ever buy them. They are necessary for the low skill off roader who must have lockers. I'm a fan of th he Detroit NoSpin myself. If you understand it's functions and nuances, they do the job perfectly.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you own an MV, if so which one(ones) are you considering installing a locker in?

I ask because you've recently asked about lockers in a deuce and now in the CUCV forum.

tim292stro

I like the idea of an OX locker, but not how they assembled it - I've seen a few which have broken. The part I [EDIT] like [/EDIT] is that you can actuate it from air, a cable, or just shoving a bolt in the side of the diff cover. It's almost as expensive as an ARB Air Locker. I also wish the E-lockers didn't have a habit of grenading...

Last edited:

61sleepercab

You have to be careful with a locker only on the rear axle only....... I had a Jeep pickup truck with limited slip rear end and in snow and mud the rear would lock and over power the front end traction and push the front end . You have to be quick on the clutch or neutral shifter or you will grip the steering wheel and nothing happens when you turn the wheel and go over a hill. I suggest lockers front and rear if you are going to do them.
Another trick oil field workers did with 4x4 trucks is put chains on front axle only so front again pulls and you can steer. Mark

tim292stro

I "like" :) a selectable locker in the front (to go with selectable 4WD), and a limited slip (like a Detroit TrueTrac) in the rear. I've run a TrueTrac on my 2WD Toyota for several years, there is a slight noise going around very tight corners (not the classic "clunk" of a Detroit Locker), but also much better straight line power to the ground than the old open differential, and if you get one rear tire on the grass or mud you don't get stuck.

Last edited:

Iceman3005

Air lockers are nice, only three drawbacks: 1-the air lines can freeze in cold temps making it inoperative, 2nd - if the line gets hung up on something like a branch, etc. and rips the line off then it will be inoperative. 3rd - if an internal seal starts to leak then it won't engage. Other than that they are nice to have an open diff and then lock it up for the extra traction. As for me I will just stay with a detroit locker, simple, very few parts to brake and it costs less.

Skinny

Unless you have an all wheel drive tcase or dislike the certain 'characteristics' of a full time locker, I'd sticker to probably a trutrac or a full detroit in pretty much all applications. Of course if this is a Deuce with lots of weight and manual steering, I'm sure a ratcheting locker can be a handfull.

Probably one of the best attributes of an airlocker (besides the little whistle noise!) is on slippery sidehills or ice, you can unlock to keep from sliding. I am really going to hate saying this but...it is also nice to switch them off and actually have a challenge. I had a yota on 37's with all the bling and with a spool rear/detroit front...I would spend 99% of my time in 2wd till an opstacle, then just shift into 4wd to get up and over. It really took the fun out of it. Atleast with an ARB you can actually use driving skill and accept the challenge. If you don't make it, hit the button and hop over. If that doesn't do it...pull cable :)

I have been wanting air lockers on my ford and cucv (09). I really like the idea of OX lockers with a manual cable, but have a hard time paying as much as an ARB. I've heard poor reviews about Detroit's on turns with slick or icy roads. Mainly guys are in a turn (apex) and have the ass end lock up causing a slide. I have no first hand knowledge first hand but that's not ideal if actually the case living in mountains. I've heard a couple times about condensation in air lines, so I wander if anyone's installing dryers in their systems.

Westech

CPL
As said, all good but the expense. I doubt that I would ever buy them. They are necessary for the low skill off roader who must have lockers. I'm a fan of th he Detroit NoSpin myself. If you understand it's functions and nuances, they do the job perfectly.
Hmm Kenny that must be why I have open diffs on my off road trucks. Im the MAN!
Anyway I am with you I like the Detroit's also. No clunking and very streetable.
In the Stan I drove a toyota that had electric lockers and it worked great! I would guess air would feel the same.
Just adds hoses and pumps and switches.
I will stick with automatic non wired/hoses lockers (limited slips)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks