• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Know a good transmission mechanic in the Atlanta area for a M1078 ?

Mjvaden

Does any one here know a good transmission mechanic in the Atlanta area to work on a m1078? We were hoping it would be a little more simple. It has a brand new transmission it but has a problem with the wiring on the wtec II shifter.

thanks, Mike

wehring

If you have access to one try a new shift pad. I have had 2 go out with varying symptoms. One would even put itself in gear and drive off.

justin

GTR0419

W.W. Williams is the official Atlanta Allison Dealer. They have a location on Moreland near the GL site. They have been helpful to me in the past with M1078's, but I've never actually had to put a truck in their shop. As an actual Allison dealer, I imagine they are not cheap. That said, what is it that the transmission is actually doing or not doing? If you need a WTECII shifter, they are expensive (around $3000 from Allison). However, you can have them rebuilt for around $550 and get a two year warranty. You also need to keep in mind that many of the re-worked M1078's have transmissions made for WTECIII. The army had a WTECII compatibility / refit program that changed the internal wiring harness so the unit would work with WTECII controls. I only mention this because some of the techs at the civilian transmission shops don't know this and might make an incorrect diagnosis (or beat their heads in trying to figure out the craziness).

Mjvaden

It will just not go into gear. I swapped a wtec II shifter out of a functioning truck and it still did the same thing. And the the shifter on the non functioning truck did work on the other truck. So we ruled out the shifter. Now you got me thinking about the refit wiring adaptor being the transmission is new. I am thinking the problem is electronic just don't know where to start. Shifter works and I think the vehicle interface module is good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks