• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My Fort Polk, LA M1008 Project

tmbrown08

Well I bought a CUCV M1008 from Fort Polk, LA the other day. I figured I would start a Thread to follow my progress. Be patient its gonna take a while for me to get it the way I want it since i will be working on it in the parking lot of my Apartment. Will post pictures of the truck before any work begins.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! I havent been on this site long so i didnt know there was anybody around there. Luckily the guy that works the yard was alot of help!
The GUY? I just know Linda and Maxine. They are a lot of help too! Too bad the Army swapped out your tires and wheels before sending to DRMO. I wanted to bid on that truck in the worst way, but the pills I have been taking for my hoarding disorder kicked in.

tmbrown08

So far what I have done to the truck is: Charged the batteries, Installed the doghead starter relay, Put some fuel with injection cleaner in, Replaced the fuel filter. When I tried to turn the truck over I could not hear the starter engage. So before I tore out the starter I tested the relay to determine if i was getting power to the solenoid. Turns out I wasnt getting power to the relay at all. I pulled up the wiring diagram and found that i had a wire that had been worn in two. I replaced the wire and I am now getting power to the relay and from the relay to the solenoid. The truck still wouldn't turnover so I pulled the starter and used a set of jumper cables to test it. The motor on the starter is fine but the solenoid was not engaging when energized. So now I am waiting on the new starter that I ordered to arrive.

tmbrown08

The GUY? I just know Linda and Maxine. They are a lot of help too! Too bad the Army swapped out your tires and wheels before sending to DRMO. I wanted to bid on that truck in the worst way, but the pills I have been taking for my hoarding disorder kicked in.
Yeah the truck wasn't on the DRMO lot it was further down the road at another lot where they store alot of vehicles and do maintenance. I paid a little more than i wanted to but the truck was very clean with no rust damage. So If I can get it running i think it will have been worth it.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah the truck wasn't on the DRMO lot it was further down the road at another lot where they store alot of vehicles and do maintenance. I paid a little more than i wanted to but the truck was very clean with no rust damage. So If I can get it running i think it will have been worth it.
Ah, the ECS site. There are more CUCVs they still have in service there. For as nice as that truck is, you did fine.

tmbrown08

Ah, the ECS site. There are more CUCVs they still have in service there. For as nice as that truck is, you did fine.
I saw an M1009 that was extremely clean there. It was still in service and i talked to the guys that use them and it sounds like they are going to hold on to them for a while.

spartan_185

Great looking truck. I wanted to bid on that one but I had just bought a lift kit and several other accessories for the one I already have. Good luck with yours, it looks like a very solid truck.

tmbrown08

Well I hit my first road block! I ordered an aftermarket starter off of amazon for the truck. Got it in and tried to install it. After fooling with it for 2hrs I pulled it out and compared the bolt holes to the old one with a caliper. there was about a .050" larger gap between the bolt holes. So now I have filed a claim with amazon. Anyone have a link to one that they are confident fits?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your OEM starter to a competent starter/alternator shop and let them fix it with warranty. The aftermarket units do not give reliable service.

goldneagle

Take your OEM starter to a competent starter/alternator shop and let them fix it with warranty. The aftermarket units do not give reliable service.
That is your opinion. i have had mine on for quite a while and ran the **** out of it when i had issues the fuel flow earlier this fall. It runs great and does not seam to eat up the batteries after A LOT of cranking. I got mine on AMAZON with the 2 year warranty. I have the link to it posted before in other STARTER related threads. Mine is a gear reduction model. Needs less amps to run and my engine loves it.

rsh4364

Well I hit my first road block! I ordered an aftermarket starter off of amazon for the truck. Got it in and tried to install it. After fooling with it for 2hrs I pulled it out and compared the bolt holes to the old one with a caliper. there was about a .050" larger gap between the bolt holes. So now I have filed a claim with amazon. Anyone have a link to one that they are confident fits?
I ran into same problem with a DB elect. starter,I was so desperate to get it running I actually enlarged one hole to get to fit.Its my only vehicle right now.I have picked up a 24v dd starter and a new 12v starter just in case.

tmbrown08

Well after being hung up waiting on the starter and then running in to a few electrical problems. I finally got the starter turning on the truck. Last night I primed the fuel system and it fired off on the first turn! I still need a front right tire to be able to drive it down the road but I moved it around the parking lot a little bit with a half inflated tire and let it idle for about 20 min. Glad to have this puppy running!

More updates to come!

tmbrown08

Well I searched the website and couldnt find any definite answers. I did not realize when I bought the vehicle that it was listed in a scrap Auction and according to their website GL will not issue a title on a vehicle that was in a Scrap auction. Which makes no sense to me because the entire event was vehicles.

Im looking for a way to title the truck without getting a title from them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks