• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1028 6.2 engine swap for a 6.5 turbo charged.

oliveyj

So I just picked up a 95 6.5 turbo diesel for cheap coin. Everything was there, and the only thing I was told that needed to be swapped over was the mechanical injection pump from my 6.2. Is this true? I was told everything else would bolt/plug right up to my existing wiring harness and ect. Anyone out there have any info for me? It would be appreciated.

Im planning on doing the engine swap, on board air, auxiliary lights, and a M105 trailer for a bed swap. So there will be more eventually on this build. Currently its sitting on 40 inch Iroks and 8 inches of lift, with a 6.5 turbo setup already on it. Its my daily driver. I just wanted to swap in a more reliable engine to start with.

panzerwillie

Yes everything from the 6.2 works on the 6.5, however the turbo engine needs more fuel so you can either find a IP 4911 or turn the fuel screw up in the 6.2 IP but putting the correct IP would make it run better, some fuel labs can recalibrate the IP from the 6.2 to match the the TURBO fuel calibration changing some of the working parts , you can also change the tips on the injectors for marine type and turn the fuel screw on the 6.2 IP will get ti close to what it needs, also you my want to weld the waste gate closed....

oliveyj

Do you know how hard it is to swap IP's? I have heard you need to get the timing right, but is there more to it than just taking one out and putting the other in?

oliveyj

I started to pull the 6.5 apart today. Deff will take a few hours to swap the mec one in. Another thing, what about the fuel pump? The 6.2 has the mechanical and 6.5 is electric (obviously). What do I need to do with that? Swap it or wire the electric one into my M1028?

panzerwillie

You can leave the mechanical pump you just need to ad the drain on it, you can Google for a picture how to do it or do a search here is being cover several times with good pictures, however electric pump is a good option, there is a location where to mounted is almost like factory did it for that, there is a thread of my M1010 where I put a 6.5l and a 4l80E it has good pictures of location....

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I disagree on the welding the wastegate shut. 6.2/6.5's can't handle a ton of boost. I would agree to remove the stock wastegate actuator and install a "turbo master". This is just replacing the actuator with a threaded rod, spring, and nylon lock nut. Allowing you to dial in the boost. I'd keep it under 12psi for a 6.2 and 17psi for a 6.5.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I didn't mean that to be argumentative. But I just don't like the thoughts off higher boost on a 6.2/6.5 due to the high CR they have. I'm sure I could make more power with my 1008, but it's a risk/reward thing to me.

Funny you asked that question. I got a truck given to me today with a 6.5 in it.. I was wondering if i could just put it in without doing anything drastic..Just out and in is all i want to do.. Is it worth the time .Is there that much more HP. Sorry to hop into your thread but i did'nt want to post the same question. Thank you

oliveyj

And as far as why I wanted to swap a 6.5 in, I figure its meant to have a turbo from the factory, so its built to withstand factory settings for the turbo unlike the 6.2. I know its a 30+ year old engine which is why the seals are leaking but the 6+ lbs of boots couldnt have helped with the oil leaks that resulted from use. Its a direct plug in to the 6.2 harness and a cheap reliable solution compared to a cummins or dmax like some people recommended.

Truckyea

Hey oliveyj, how did you plum the fuel lines?
I just did the same swap, my 6.5 is out of a 93 so it's already mechanical, I did however swap the return line on the front of the block, and used everything I could off the 6.2.
I blocked off the main return line now that I'm thinking about it, "bolt and clamp"
Just wondering how you plumed yours.
The guy I bought mine from, said that he was getting 18lbs of boost, and had the 4911 pump rebuilt/calibrated for 10% more fuel.

Im about to pull the trigger on a 6" lift and make 8" total. 38" TSL's in my future

oliveyj

I think with the fuel lines I just used the same set up as with the 6.2. from tank - spin on filter - to Injection pump. I think im pushing 12 lbs of boost, havnt really done much to mine. And now that you mention the return line, Im thinking about looking at mine. And with the lift, I have a 6 inch and clear 40s no problem. Hight can be a issue sometimes. Post some pics up!

Truckyea

After I made that reply, I got really unsure of what the heck I did.
So I went out and looked to make sure. I had to double check my work.
I just did it the lazy way for now, but it works. After I get it running right, I'll go through it and "clean it up"

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks