• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M332 ammo trailer and MKT-85 Kitchen trailer

citizensoldier

Need two trailers picked up in Chambersburg, PA and hauled to Westfolks place or somewhere to the west and stored. Making arrangements for a semi load but need to get them off the base. Willing to pay fuel and time if you can do this send me a PM please.
My previous arrangements have fallen through so I am in a bit of a bind at this time.
Thank you

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't the 332 ammo trailers have a rear pintle? Should be able to tow both with one truck.
BTW, I just uploaded the TM for the ammo trailer. TM 9-2330-231-14

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have towed two M332s simultaneously so towing the M332 and kitchen trailer can be done, but 55 mph is a no-no. They pull fine at around 50 mph or less. Be careful with sudden lane changes as, once you get that train wagging back and forth, it is very dangerous! I was being VERY, VERY careful and I almost lost the rearmost M332 around a curve on a highway (a gentle curve that I was taking at about 45 mph). The problem for which I did not account was the expansion joints in the road surface (the curve was also an overpass). These caused the rearmost trailer to weave back and forth...up on one tire and then the other (but never on both tires at the same time coming around the curve). I pumped the brakes gently, but firmly and, fortunately, as I cleared the turn, the road straightened out and there was a huge shoulder with a flat, grass median. I was able to straighten the "train" out on the median and grass area and then brake harder, which I was unable to do coming around the curve. Had I had time to think about what was happening (it happened so quickly), a change of clothes would have been in order. This is a funny story...since nothing happened...but it is a lesson that I have learned...BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN TOWING MULTIPLE TRAILERS at the same time.

NEIOWA

You want to try towing a wiggling snake, hitch 2x M720 dollys in train. That makes an entertaining 150mi @ 25mph trip (90F in July). Did it twice in a week. Not again.

citizensoldier

Any of you PA guys out there that can help? I just need them picked up and store until my trucker can pick them up. He has a wild schedule and its to hard to make it jive with the GL site. HELP!
"Help me OD won your my only hope!"

citizensoldier

I downloaded the manuals and a big THANK YOU for the kitchen one exspecialy! I dont think I could have figured it out wihout braking something..
Working on the trailer pick up but lots of dead ends. The problem I now have is Chambersburg is a ground only facilaty. No way to get them on a regular semi flatbed.. Any ideas guys? This is a first purchase for me in the PA area and proving to be a pain in the butt..

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lane, have you thought about calling a wrecker company to help load the trailers? Also, I know they have a large forklift at Chambersburg. Maybe you can ask them to lift the trailers onto the semi-trailer. However, I always worry about damaging the trailers with such lifts. Maybe someone on this list has an M543/M62/M816 near the base and can help with the lifting operation. I think there might be a loading ramp between the two large buildings in the yard. I am not 100% positive about this, but maybe you can ask...

TacticalTruck

I just came from picking up my two ammo trailers. The guy there has a pintle hitch on the front of the fork and he pushed them up onto my gooseneck. His fork is not quite big enough to pick them up sideways for loading. I will send the local towing guy's number as soon as i can put my hands on it.
jeff

TacticalTruck

The dude there is pretty cool but they are jammed full and i don't remember ever seeing a dock there. Someone was using a sweet M816 and a hi-reach fork but I think they were DRMO guys.
Jeff

citizensoldier

Do you have a number for the guy on site? I would like to chat with him directly if I can. The gal at the main site is nice but I think I need to talk to the guy at the Chambersburg site if I can.. I dont want to get a trucker there and have no way of getting them on the trailer.

citizensoldier

BKubu said:
Lane, have you thought about calling a wrecker company to help load the trailers? Also, I know they have a large forklift at Chambersburg. Maybe you can ask them to lift the trailers onto the semi-trailer. However, I always worry about damaging the trailers with such lifts. Maybe someone on this list has an M543/M62/M816 near the base and can help with the lifting operation. I think there might be a loading ramp between the two large buildings in the yard. I am not 100% positive about this, but maybe you can ask...
I have thought of this Bruce. Hoping some SS member steps up to help..Not sure who is near by other than Westfolk, But no bites yet.. :D On most of my other pick up sites they just loaded them with a fork truck. But Tactical say they dont have one with big enough forks. If they can not load them there my best bet would be to have someone tow them hooked together to a place that can load them.. Maybe Westfolk will be back in time and can help.. Hmmmm..

BSH

I would like to help, as I live only an hour away from Chambersburg (to the east), but I'm afraid this is more than my Jeep Cherokee can tow. I can handle an M101 trailer no problem, but these are heavier, and since I couldn't even think about doing tandem, it would take me two trips.

By the way, pickup at Letterkenny is only on Thursdays, if it's still running the way it was a few months ago when I picked up my M101a1. You probably already know that.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just spoke to John Winslow who picked up two trucks yesterday. He told me that they do have a ramp at Letterkenny, which confirmed what I remember. Regardless, I suggest you call to confirm and also to make sure you can use it.

citizensoldier

Can anyone pick thes up on Thursday the 30th and haul them to a place where they have the facility to load them on a standard semi flatbed? I dont think its a good idea to pick up a Kitchen trailer from the front on the toung. Ammo trailer no problem.. Sounds like damage issues to me..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks