• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What radio was in the Fast attack vehicles?

Batch114

I have purchased a Military FAV and I have no clue what radio was in it. I was told it might be a PRC-77 with the power amp? I would really like to get the radio right and have no clue, anyone out there know, or have any pics of these as I am trying to bring this thing to life. I have almost all the parts and just need the radio and all the dash components. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Batch114

Elwenil

Which FAV? The Chenowith based one or the older M151 Mutt based one? I think one of our members here had or maybe still has a set of the M151 FAVs.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the correct radio set is the GRC-160, otherwise known as the PRC-77 sitting in the AM-2060 amplifer/power supply on a MT-1029 mount. I am building a set like that for my M725 ambulance, although mine never was a stock setup, yours is.

Batch114

Mad dog,

This is what I was also told. I just ordered the mount, power supply and am still looking for a good radio, I wish I had 250.00 with me this weekend at Iola, they had a sweet one there in perfect condition. Thanks for all the help. I do have pics but am computer stupid and don't know how to post them.

Any ideas of what color to go with. I know they came from Chenowth flat black, but od carc, maybe desert? woodland? Not a clue yet.

Thanks again.
Batch114

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
99% of all PRC-77 and AM-2060s were painted 24087 OD semi gloss from the factory. A lot were repainted CARC or flat OD when rebuilt. Either would be original looking. I wouldn't go black or tan if you're looking at an authentic resto.

NEIOWA

Re: RE: What radio was in the Fast attack vehicles?

maddawg308 said:
I believe the correct radio set is the GRC-160, otherwise known as the PRC-77 sitting in the AM-2060 amplifer/power supply on a MT-1029 mount. I am building a set like that for my M725 ambulance, although mine never was a stock setup, yours is.
I was a PL with 2-60Inf (CAB-H) in the late 80s our scout platoon had those POS FAVs (ok but went thru very expensive engines faster than Clinton does "girlfriends"). All had PRC77 in amp/vehicle mounts. PL and PSgt had a 2nd net which I'm almost positive was same as for every other PL in the division which was the big honking ("2 man lift") vehicle radio.R?T524 as I recall. Most PL vehicles also had an "OX" (receive only set so could monitor a 3rd net). Visions (secure) on both nets. Power/auto matching units for the antenna. As I recall Scout PL/PSgt also had a AM set (for long distance commo).

And yes the things were so overloaded no surprise engines died quickly.

Batch114

RE: Re: RE: What radio was in the Fast attack vehicles?

I thank you all for the radio info. I just recieved the Prc77 mount and power supply along with all the antenna stuff today. Next will be the radio. I just need a little more time to get some cash flow going.

It might just be painted flat OD, I have enough of it here, maybe CARC though, what is the difference between the two (sorry I am new to all this)

BillIdaho

I was going to (and hopefully still will some day) build or restore a Chenowyth FAV. I comprised a huge amount of info, including what limited TM's, etc there were (are). The VAST majority were painted flat black. The only standard for FAV's were no two were the same. So, within certain parameters, anything goes. There are still a few in actual use, but those belong to pretty "quiet" units...you won't read about in the paper.
As far as radios, some had PRC77's mounted on MT2060's. Some had Rt524/246's. A goodly amount used whatever handheld radio the passenger was using at the time.
Yeah, the biggest mistake (for want of a better word) made was overloading them. It defeated the very purpose they were designed to be used for. The key word here being FAST.
I chased down a handful of original frames in various degrees of completion. A couple were/are in the San Diego area, but the owners of those want original Government price! There turned out to be two of them, within about 15 miles of me, here in Idaho. They were radio controled units, and were pretty well stripped. The guy that actually owned them died and no one knows what the current status is.
Keep me posted, I have a really soft spot in my ice cold black heart fro an FAV.

Batch114

Bill,

If ther is any other info you have please let me know. I am searching (for the past 2 years) for 4 rubber covers for the smoke grenade discharger. I cant find them anywhere.

Does anyone know where I can sell the other smoke discharger I have. I bought 2 of them before I knew they only had one on the side?

Thanks for everyones help.

Dennis

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks