• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Self Recovery Winches

Oski1868

First of all .... as a newbie to the world of MV, this site is amazing. From the technical manuals to the all the information on dealing with GL auctions .. it has been invaluable.

That said, I am currently working on getting an M1078 back to eastern washington after a successful Dec 30th auction in Atlanta. (To ship or drive ... that is the big question at this point) Thanks to a tip from "Doug Roberts I am working with Yancey Bros. to prep for the trip west. I have a posting on Uship for bids .... right now it is at $4300 to ship. Hoping it comes down a bit. Short of that ... there is nothing like a scenic rumble across the beautiful heartland of america in january! Oh boy!

Anyway ... what I have been curious about is where one might find the self recovery winch for these trucks? I have been watching auctions for the last year or so and have only seen a couple of M1078's sold with them installed. Are they taken off by the military before that are salvaged? or are they not installed from the beginning? Seems like a pretty cool feature every boy should have ...

(Forgive me if this has been discussed before ... I really tried not to commit the newbie sin of raising questions that have been beat up many times before!)

Thanks for all the great info you guys have posted ...

Happy New Year!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These were factory installed on maybe 5% of the trucks. The truck will have a different NSN with winch. There is a lot to it, PTO, hyd pump, hyd reservoir, fairleads front and rear, tachometer pod on the dash, and the DP winch itself. I opted to buy a with winch truck even though it was missing parts like the driver's door. Glad I did.

BTW, about 6 of the DP winches just sold on GL last week at RRAD. They were take-offs.

Doug Roberts

A winch would be nice to have . I saw a couple of trucks in that sale that had them. Yancy CAT is about 4 miles away from The Truck Center. In having them do your PMCS , make sure you get your axles and differentials serviced. Another SS member had the front axle lock up on him 10 miles outside Atlanta on a LMTV. That's a pretty long drive in one , the RPMs run a lil high running 50-55mph , and it will burn some fuel. This truck does not have a 'blind spot' , it has a BLIND WALL. Use a spotter if you can. Stay safe

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let us know how it works out getting your truck serviced at Yancy. I know when someone at my local Cat house even THINKS about my D3 crawler, they send me a bill for $1000!

Mjvaden

Oski, which truck did you buy? I had a chance to preview most of them and bought two this last go around. One was a winch truck (though it did not say in the listing)

mike

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The winch isn't all that hard to find. It's everything else that is extremely difficult. I have yet to find the correct hydraulic tank and mount. I was able to acquire everything else from one of my other non running trucks.

Good luck on your search.
I know this post is from 2015 Derrickl112 but I am in the process of installing a self-recovery winch from a donor parts truck. Any chance you might happen to have any more info you could share or possibly those three winch & pto control switches in your pictures? Or the wiring specifics that seem to be important to disable the Allison's ability to go into gear while winching?

Tim Mullaney

coachgeo

I know this post is from 2015 Derrickl112 but I am in the process of installing a self-recovery winch from a donor parts truck. Any chance you might happen to have any more info you could share or possibly those three winch & pto control switches in your pictures? Or the wiring specifics that seem to be important to disable the Allison's ability to go into gear while winching?

Tim Mullaney
Are you installing onto a mechanical engined truck or computerized?

consensus seems to be, On the trucks the limitation is engine Rpms and shifting blocks inside tranny based on rpm. Tranny simply won't let you switch gears with rpms up at level needed to run the pto. Some have found they can put in Rev. gear first then push up rpms to level designated for winch too operate. Not ideal for tranny and pto though.

Not sure that will work on A1's though.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Are you installing onto a mechanical engined truck or computerized?

consensus seems to be, On the trucks the limitation is engine Rpms and shifting blocks inside tranny based on rpm. Tranny simply won't let you switch gears with rpms up at level needed to run the pto. Some have found they can put in Rev. gear first then push up rpms to level designated for winch too operate. Not ideal for tranny and pto though.

Not sure that will work on A1's though.
Mine is a M1088a1 with a Cat 3126. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but getting hydraulics on the truck gives me all kinds of other possibilities too. It seems incredibly stupid that the winch and transmission can't both be in gear at the same time. So the tires turning could help the truck move forward or backward.

It appears that may be the case though. The part I am dreading (only because I know nothing about it) is the wiring required to tell the computer that it has a winch. And that statement is a GUESS on my part...

My neighbors are a concrete company. Everything they have is powered with an Allison Transmission. Never really paid their trucks any mechanical attention but logic says that they use a PTO to drive hydraulics to turn the drum. AND they drive while the drum is turning. Maybe they have some magic they can share... Maybe?

ramdough

Mine is a M1088a1 with a Cat 3126. I may be barking up the wrong tree, but getting hydraulics on the truck gives me all kinds of other possibilities too. It seems incredibly stupid that the winch and transmission can't both be in gear at the same time. So the tires turning could help the truck move forward or backward.

It appears that may be the case though. The part I am dreading (only because I know nothing about it) is the wiring required to tell the computer that it has a winch. And that statement is a GUESS on my part...

My neighbors are a concrete company. Everything they have is powered with an Allison Transmission. Never really paid their trucks any mechanical attention but logic says that they use a PTO to drive hydraulics to turn the drum. AND they drive while the drum is turning. Maybe they have some magic they can share... Maybe?

You can run the winch while the tires move.

Here is a video showing how it works with an A0.

I have an M1083A1 with a winch transplanted from an A0. I have everything but the harnesses wired in. Right now, I am planning to disable the lockout so I can run the wheels while winching. I probably will have some sort of a safety so I don’t engage it accidentally while driving. This is low on my list of mods right now. When I get to rebuilding the interior, I will start wiring it up.

Let me know how you wire it in. Please post descriptions or do a build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You can run the winch while the tires move.

Here is a video showing how it works with an A0.

I have an M1083A1 with a winch transplanted from an A0. I have everything but the harnesses wired in. Right now, I am planning to disable the lockout so I can run the wheels while winching. I probably will have some sort of a safety so I don’t engage it accidentally while driving. This is low on my list of mods right now. When I get to rebuilding the interior, I will start wiring it up.

Let me know how you wire it in. Please post descriptions or do a build thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
THANK YOU! Just knowing that it can be done is a good feeling. I will watch the video and see what I can learn. I found The Adventures Of Abel recommended by somebody on these forums. In that series, #108 (on FaceBook) shows the parts listing on rebuilding the cab and tire jack. I noticed mine "smoking" (blowing oil) today when I tilted the cab.

I will happily share what I learn. The mechanical part will be easy.

What I am really hoping is that when I unbolt the switch cover there will be connectors there already. Makes sense they would only have one wiring harness.
Hey, I can dream until I open it up and find out otherwise - Right?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
THANK YOU! Just knowing that it can be done is a good feeling. I will watch the video and see what I can learn. I found The Adventures Of Abel recommended by somebody on these forums. In that series, #108 (on FaceBook) shows the parts listing on rebuilding the cab and tire jack. I noticed mine "smoking" (blowing oil) today when I tilted the cab.

I will happily share what I learn. The mechanical part will be easy.

What I am really hoping is that when I unbolt the switch cover there will be connectors there already. Makes sense they would only have one wiring harness.
Hey, I can dream until I open it up and find out otherwise - Right?
Be sure to read the guide here in my signature. You've had several questions that are answered in there, such as rebuilding the hydraulic pump. (At this moment, the CTIS post is being rewritten, but it will be ironed out soon.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks