• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who can ID this vehicles?

RoNic

Hi,

I hope that sombody can help me to ID this two vehicles.
I saw them in Santiago de los Caballeros (Fortalza San Luis) in dominican republic.

Thanks
Robert

Attachments

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Pansarbil m/40 for the first one. Second might be a Pig but doubtful. It still looks Swedish, Dutch or Danish in design.

Is someone travelling in the Dominican Republic?

Update

In Sweden, the Pansarbil m/40s were completed and in service between 1941-43, distributed among reconnaissance units and participating in regular exercises. Thirteen vehicles (serial numbers 227-235 and 303-308) were sold in 1956 to the Dominican Republic. They operated for a long time, and possibly took an active part in the suppression of the revolution of 1965 and the ensuing civil war.

Last edited:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think it is British and definitely not American. Could be homemade

gerrykan

The bumper on the second vehicle looks like a Dodge 3/4-ton WC or M series.
Also the wheel bolt pattern may be Dodge.

Expanding on CARNAC's reference to Swede/Dutch origin, I believe Volvo built some trucks using Dodge type drivetrains.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Take a look around, there should be a dozen Swedish L60 tanks around there somewhere.

Twenty L-60s were sold by Sweden to the Dominican Republic in 1960. They had been refitted and modernized, and took part in offensive actions following the Dominican Civil War in April 1965. The rebels, backed by a US Marines force, clashed with some Dominican regular army tanks, ending with three L-60s being destroyed by AT fire, M50 Ontos and M48 Patton tanks. The remaining twelve were later modernized to US standards, and remained in service until 2002.

And some M3A1 Scout Cars and some M3 halftracks and some.....

Last edited:

Al Harvey

The second car is one of two RM-79 Armored cars that were built by the Dominican Navy in 1981. They were believed to have been built on either a lengthened M37B chassis or civilian power wagon chassis. One (the one in the picture) was built as an armored personnel carrier and the other had a rotating 40mm Bofors Cannon on it. The link below is to from the "Armored Car: The Wheeled Fighting Vehicle Magazine" Issue 27 January - February 1995. Look on page 2 for the info and picture.

http://www.warwheels.net/images/ACJfinal27.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks