• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

6.5 turbo setup on 6.2, problems with throttle vacuum valve adjustment.

Ilikemtb999

Hey guys,
ive installed a 6.5 turbo setup in my m1009 and I'm having trouble adjusting the throttle vacuum valve to get my shift points back to where they were because of the intake manifold coming into contact with the upper vacuum fitting. Does anybody have a trick to getting it to clear? Grinding the upper intake manifold? Somehow rotating the vacuum fittings (looks like maybe it can be removed and turned?).

i do have a spare throttle vacuum valve but don't want to mess up a $90 part if I don't have to.

Thanks for the suggestions in advance!

cpf240

Ok, wow, that is a tight fit there. Thank you for posting the picture.

I don't suppose there is anyway to rotate the entire fitting on the end of the valve? I've not tried to take one of those apart, so don't know if that would work.

Looking forward to hear from members who have done this swap!

Ilikemtb999

Yea I've got it rotated as far back as it'll go right now and it's touching the manifold. My shift points are later than I'd like. Second is roughly 25 and third about 40.

evldoer

How much room do you need to get some adjustment for the valve? If you were to cut a spacer out of 1/4 inch plate aluminum and ad another gasket between the upper and lower would this give you enough clearance? If you only need a minor amount of rise to clear the valve maybe you can stack a couple of gaskets on top of one another. Its difficult to tell just how much room you need by the picture s.

Ilikemtb999

If the vacuum fittings weren't angled up I think it would clear just fine. 1/4" would certainly do it but I don't have the means for making a spacer like that.

I can't get a good picture of it, too many things in the way.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Which intake manifold do you have? The one with the split plenum or the open open plenum? Did it come with the turbo?

I seem to recall that the deck height is different. Or I could be wrong.

llong66

Ilikemtb999, I had thought I was going to run into the same issue but when I got my new VRV I was able to adj. it so that I dont think its going to be an issue. You said you dont have the means to make a spacer, if you can get some thin plate, less than 1/4", you should be able to cut it with a jig saw and metal cutting blade if you go nice and slow, just use the gasket as a template, then maybe a lil file work . My main concern was increasing the plenum volume, you might have to increase the boost to make up for it.

Good luck!
Greg

Ilikemtb999

I don't have the means to make such a spacer.

I have good news and bad news. Good news is, it looks like the top portion of the sensor can be rotated 90*. Bad news is I broke the one on my truck trying to be lazy and modify it on the truck. Inside the top portion is a spring attached to what seems like a plunger so rotating it doesn't effect it. I was able to do it off the truck on the extra sensor I have.

llong66

Ilikemtb999. if you cant do it another way, all you need to mke te spacer is a gasket for a template, the piece of Al, and a jig saw with a metal cutting blade,maybe a cpl files. Its a very simple adapter to make even with basic hand tools

Ilikemtb999

I was able to get my shifts pretty close to stock settings. First to second is at about 20mph. I adjusted the vacuum sensor as far back as I could and then adjusted the modulator at the trans.

llong66

Ilikemtb999: when you adjusted the modulator, how did you do it? I have heard some have a small "screw" inside the hose port. If this is so, do you remember which way does what, such as CW makes it shift earlier, CCW, later harder?

Thanks,
Greg

Ilikemtb999

My under standing is that it's changing the amount of vacuum required. I found a nifty chart in the TM's about elevation and vacuum requirements. Since I'm at nearly 6,000ft I figured worth a shot. I backed the screw out just a half turn. Should lower the vacuum requirements for the trans, or at least I assume that's what's happening.

Truckyea

I'm just getting around to buttoning up my 6.5TD swap, I didn't think of this being a problem when I switched over all the 6.2 manual parts. I hope I don't have to many issues

Ilikemtb999

I thought about making a thin spacer and using two gaskets but I'm alright with where my shift points are now. The rpms are slightly higher when shifting than what's in the TM but helps on steep climbs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks