• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy question

smalltruckbigcid

I have a 1009, but from reading some of the posts here about engine swaps a duece has me intrigued. Am I right that a small block chev is almost a bolt in swap? The bellhousing is not a problem? The transfer case is a divorced type, not the style bolted to the back of the transmission. Sorry for the questions but I'm still going through other postings and learning new stuff.

George

Monster Man

If not a bolt-in, it should fit in there with little modification. The t-case is divorced. Just make sure it's built for torque- no tunnel ram manifolds here hehehehe

spicergear

Yeah, you can swap it in as damn near a direct bolt in BUT...you'll need to make a couple things work. I bolted a 3053A to a big block and slapped it into a M715 truck. To swap a sbc or bbc into the deuce you'd need the correct bellhousing, flywheel and starter from a medium duty chevy truck, make up the mounts off of it's bellhousing to the deuce's frame, make a front engine mount (no biggy as a lot of older chevys had a mount right under the balancer), and you'd need to figure out clutch linkage which I think would be the biggest deal. Some of the later medium duty's had slave cylinders for the clutch with would save mechancal linkage headaches.

rdixiemiller

You could also build an old 292 Chevy straight six. Those old engines were really torquey, and can be bored to about 315 cubes if I remember correctly. It would be a good fit as far as width is concerned, and would be fun to drive. I had an old C-60 dump, '64 model I think. That old 292 would pull stumps! You would probably take about 1000# off the front axle going that route. I seem to remember 3200 rpm was a good cruising speed for my old dumper.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks