• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stalwart 6x6 questions

Heyitsmike

So I'm going to look at an old stalwart this weekend. before I go, I want to know what some of the problem areas are so I can go through the it and see what needs fixin.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421888552.102079.jpg

m715mike

Gotta love a Stolly!

I owned one for a little over a year and love it! Here are a couple of links:

SS Thread:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?117888-My-old-Stolly

SS Photo Album:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/album.php?albumid=3223

Quick disclaimer:
I am not a mechanic! My Stolly was in really good condition, and I did not own it long enough (nor use it all that much) for something major to break. I was a bit paranoid about the cost of a major repair and the availability of parts.

Okay, with the disclaimer out of the way, there were a few quirks about my truck that I will never forget. It's been a while, but I remember reading on the internet that my truck's quirks were rather common (and since it was on the internet it must have been true)!

1) Warming-up: My Stolly took for ever to warm-up. I may be exaggerating, but it seems like 15 minutes at more than an idle (in a warm climate) might do the trick. There was a loud knocking while the truck warmed-up. It could have just been my engine knocking (again, I'm not a mechanic); however, I remember reading that was common for a Stolly. Also, it was easy to stall the engine before it had a chance to fully warm-up.

2) Backfiring: This is the closest I've ever come to owning a cannon! If my Stolly didn't cool-down after use, it would backfire. We are not talking a little "pop"... Think Howitzer!!! Don't worry, your neighbors (3 towns over) will love it!!

3) Breaks: After swimming, I had no breaks for a while. This issue was probably specific to my truck. It caught me by surprise, and I almost caused a wreck on the way home after my swim. I don't recommend that!

The seating is unusual. If you've never looked inside of a Stolly, you may be surprised to find the driver's seat in the middle with passenger seats on either side. Of course there is the bevel box wind-up that is often discussed. I never had an issue with the bevel boxes, but then again I never took long drives on pavement.

Does the one you are looking at still have the Dowty jets for swimming?

Having owned one, I think they are amazing trucks. If you get the opportunity (and the funds are available), jump on it! Keep us posted...

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the driveline is concerned - these are cross country vehicles - not designed/intended to be driven on road (very far).
Frequent inspection and measurement of tyre diameters and subsequent rematching/replacement is required - there are no differentials in the transmission - all wheels are driven all the time, locked together but as the front four wheels steer - all in different arcs there is inherent scrub.

It is possible and suggested for civi owners that the front four wheel stations are divorced from the rear if you want to use it predominantly on the road without having to replace tyres.

The RR engines are relatively common as they, in various configurations (straight 4, 6 or 8 ), powered most of the 50's British wheeled vehicles, so expertise and parts are available if you can link with the UK owners.

Seals for the rear body are pretty rare and are obviously needed for swimming.

... interesting to drive though!

Last edited:

datadawg

True, good point.

Eight G's seems a little steep to me.
It doesn't seem to be that much, given the engineering and coolness factor. But a more crucial question is: how much would it take to fully overhaul one of these? And is there any US based shop that has the expertise to do it? I have corresponded with a guy in UK selling his for 3K pounds, and by the time you bring it over, it'll cost way more. The only way I'd consider buying something like that is if I could get it totally overhauled. Does anyone have any idea of rough range of costs involved?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks