• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yet ANOTHER tire question, smaller tires on hummer rims...

llong66

I would really like to go with a set of hummer rims, but am not wanting a 37" tire. I plan on lifting my truck, but 37" of tire is way more than I would like.
I see that BFG makes a 33X12.5R16.5 tire and was wondering what ppl thought of this as an option, The tire also comes in a 35" version in a 16.5" rim diameter.
I am not quite sure how they would look once mounted, I am sure performance would be equal to the 37" tire other than the highway speed/lower RPM gain from the 37" tire. All thoughts.ideas/opinions/experiences appreciated!

Thanks,
Greg

llong66

Thanks CSM Davis! You mean just the PVC beadlock inserts I am guessing? I was also wondering, I have heard of some ppl taking the rubber runflat inserts and cutting them down so they just have a rubber insert, no runflat. I wonder if you could take a set of them, cut them down to the proper size for a 33" or 35" tire and have runflat capability if you felt you just had to? Thought?

Last edited:

Csm Davis

Yeah you probably could but it would be a pain to get them perfectly round and smooth I have been thinking about cutting off my runflat to help with weight and balance and ease of assembly.

richingalveston

if you are doing a lift, I would go with the 35 to make your rpms better. lift has to come before tires.
no lift, the 33's will fit.

Make your own PVC bead locks or buy them from trail worthy fab in 16.5 inch size. Much better to balance.

I would not waste the time to cut the run flat off nor would I use the run flat. Just tears up a tire.

To use the run flat properly and for any distance you have to install a lube in the tire which in combination with the run flat is impossible to balance.

I would not use the hummer rims unless you plan to use the hummer 37 inch take off tires. New off road tires in the 16.5 inch rim are more expensive than the same tire in 16 or 17 inch rim. And there are fewer tire options in the 16.5 inch rim size.

Hummer rims and tires are durable but also cheap and expendable when compared to other off road tires. I would save the money for a 16 or 17 inch bead lock rim so that tires are less expensive in the long run and you will have more choices if you want something smaller than a 37 inch tire.

llong66

richingalveston, Thank you much for your thoughts. Wanting to go with a smalled tire is not so much a $$ issue as its is that I just dont want my truck that high. I know about the cost of civi 16.5" tires...crazy, but 35" is all I really want to go. The hummer rims are just a look thing for me, I really like them!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks