• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spider gears in hubs - opinions

wehring

I just took a 30 hour roadtrip in a C7/allison freightliner M2. It is similar to the LMTV in many ways except for the planetary type hubs. How do y'all think they are going to hold up to high mileage use? There is a very fine line between the front wheel bearings being too lose and the spider gears having to much slop.

Before the gear change I took it to have a wheel alignment and they declined because the front hubs would wiggle. Have not been back since the gear change to see if it is improved or just a design flaw.

I am not sure they are going to hold up or at the least stay tight to keep a wheel alignment.

what say yea?? Are there any other over-the-road axles with portal hubs that y'all know of?

Justin

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The spider in the hub concept is the most unusual powertrain design I have ever come across. Wheel end planetaries make so much more sense and are completely proven. Given that, these axles have been successful in the FMTVs since 1993. I don't think anyone knows how they will do approaching 100,000 miles.

wehring

Going to take it back to strouhals in the morning for an alignment. Will see how the hubs look after the gear change. Hopefully they are tight and take an alignment well.

R Racing

I haven't seen them used much on a over the road application. But I have seen them used tons on ag and industrial equipment and have proven reliable there !

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I haven't seen them used much on a over the road application. But I have seen them used tons on ag and industrial equipment and have proven reliable there !
??? Please tell me one ag or industrial machine that has differential spiders in the wheel hub for 2:1 reduction. We are not talking planetaries here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks