• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1995 M1078 door handle and window crank

Oski1868

Just wondering if any of you have had experience pulling off the door handle and window crank on a mid-90's M1078?

I have read posts about these and the difficulty finding replacement. I don't want to risk messing them up.

Thanks in advance.

Shark Bait

Inside door handle? I've had mine off a couple times, I don't remember exactly, but wasn't bad. I believe it was as simple as a single screw in each one. If its te outside door handl? You have to remove all the door hardwareinside, and hardware to latch mechanism, then remove 10mm bolt from rear of handle assembly from inside the door. Carefully work the handle out of door enough to remove rods going to lock and latch. I removed mine to go have keys made for it. It took an older Land Rover key if it matters?

Dave

Oski1868

thanks ... it is the inside plastic latch, window crank and lock knob. I am putting in sound deadening stuff through out the cab and need to get the door panels off. I will shoot some pix ....

Shark Bait

Inside of those doors are coated. I believe it's a rust inhibitor and is I little "gooey". You may check it out first. May not find much of anything to stick to it. But I would say it would deaden some sound itself.

Oski1868

Thanks Shark Bait ... you are right there some gooey stuff in there. I am going to coat all the surfaces with LizardSkin and Dynamat and see if it helps reduce the noise in the cab.

I feel kind of stupid now ... the door handle and window crank popped off pretty easily .... they just have plastic ridges that fit over the aluminum cast cranks ...

window crank 002.jpgdoor crank 002.jpg

Hate to say it but the best tool for removing these and the 11 plastic panel retainers was the claw of my hammer ...

Doug Roberts

and if I ever get an actuator ( door striker) for my passenger door ... anyone ? lol ..BUT to add something here , consider your noise reduction with replacing the inside panel with different material ( using your panel as a template) , and most of the noise is coming from below ( obviously )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks