• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ID needed Fairbanks Morse part

papercu

I found a water pump shaFT puller (NSN 5120-00-969-2310) for a Fairbanks Morse 8-1/8X10 OP Engines. I google for Fairbanks Morse but didn't find much info. Anybody knows what military use these engines was used on. TIA, Wayne

Attachments

acetomatoco

Fairbanks Morse are large stationary engines used in mega gen sets and the like...like a locomotive engine.. choo choo.. size.. The 8 1/8 by 10 is the bore and stroke of the engine if that gives you a clue... like huge.. gimougous...or even bigger...

JDToumanian

The FM engines are also used - to this day - as marine engines in "smaller" ships that would need an engine in the 3,000 hp range yet have space enough for something 20' long, 8' wide, 10' tall that weighs probably 20 tons. Coast Guard cutter size, maybe?

Jon

NEIOWA

As I recall standard US sub engine from at least the 20s thru WWII was a Fairbanks Morse running generator sets (Diesel electric system).

Pretty much the same engine widely used to power generator at a host of small municipal power plants. Properly maintained would/will run forever. Local powerplant was using 1930s vintage units until approx 2000. And was no reason to replace them then.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks