• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R & R work (remove and repair)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'm not sure where to start, so I'll start at the beginning.

I'm not sure what I was thinking, but I hopped onto craigslist a week ago to waste some time. I ended up finding an old drill press listed for $75. I have been wanting a floor model for a while, but was too cheap to spend money on one since I could get by with my little table top unit.

"To make a long story short"...

I am taking apart my new drill press and replacing the bearings. I have worked on a lot of MVs, and machinery, and other assorted things, so when I say I am amazed at the level of filth on this drill press, be assured it is nasty and no fun to work with. The fact that its kinda cold here makes it an "inside" project. Every time I touch it, I need to wash with massive amounts of Dawn dish soap to clean my hands. I even need to clean the carpets now.

Well I decided it would be a good idea to wash this sucker off. Where else can you wash something real well, but in the shower!? Things started out ok, grime was flowing down the drain better than I could have hoped for. Then once the outside was done, I started getting inside the head and the passageways where the quill and other assorted machined surfaces are.

WTF?!

I have never seen so much black crud, swarf and turds fall out of a machine like this! Even better was I accidentally stepped in some and now have shards of metal embedded in my foot! Sure enough, they had some of those black dingle-berrys attached and now every step left black "foot prints" all over the shower base. So now I have an in-describable mess at hand. It took me over an hour from this point to wrap the drill head in a towel and set it out of the shower, pull the shards out of my feet(both feet by this point), wash the walls (I hadn't noticed I splattered with grime) down, and push the grime and blood down the drain.

Sometimes it pays to put a little forward thought into what you are planning to do. Let me be the first to warn you all, don't wash a drill press head, that is 50+ years old, that came from a factory SOMEWHERE, that just needs a "little" cleaning, in your shower with you.

Thank you, good night.

DP b.jpgDP a.jpg

Carlo

I'm guilty of the same thing! I see a good buy in the web and think I'm saving money only to spend more time bringing that thing up to my standards. In short I spent 1,00 to save .025.
Thanks for the tread.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In OK we just wait till a warm day and use a car wash for a project like this! Then it can shoot you in the face because of the high pressure. I would recommend soaking your feet in some hot Epsom salts because of the nasty metal shards and crud. Happy drilling!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope your feet are okay. I have also never been so glad that I have not fixed the water line where it broke out to the barn last winter....... ;-)

You should have saved it for Haspin. The mess in the shower wouldn't be noticed.
I'd stick to women in the shower if I were you. A little less messy.

FloridaAKM

I can't believe you put it in the shower. That is what car washes are for & no messy shower floor when you are finished. I redid a jet mill a few years ago & it was piles of fun also, just no shower action.

I agree with donnerwetter58, women in the shower are a better choice & they don't leave greasy footprints (you hope) or shards of metal to get stuck in your feet (those things really hurt for such a small piece of metal).

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm guessing he spooned with it in bed after the shower.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Even better was I accidentally stepped in some and now have shards of metal embedded in my foot! ............ l and set it out of the shower, pull the shards out of my feet(both feet by this point)..........
What year is the drill press? That one will stay in line forever and it 'tiss a good story gimpyrobb.
That Dawn is great stuff for cleaning humans, ducks, and trucks.
I give another good product for your puncture wounds. Treat them, do not let it "get away" on you.

This is from an old machinist.
Find yourself some Ichthammol Ointment [black salve} which is the only thing that will draw out splinters of wood, plastic and metal chips. Look it up, it is known as horse liniment too.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
You should have plugged the machine in and let it run while in the shower. The extra heat and spinning motor would have helped in the cleaning. It could have gone from a dull, boring chore to quite a shocking experience rather quickly.:naner:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
As a kid, I recall my mom using a black salve for my slivers.
I don't think it popular anymore.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-ointment-leaves-man-inch-wide-HOLE-head.html
The man in that daily mail was not using regular good old stuff containing only Petrolatum, Ichthammol, Anhydrous Lanolin and light Mineral Oil. There is "black salve" used all over the world, using many different ingredients. I just suggested the product be used properly and it is the only thing I know of that will draw out a splinter. That man in the Daily mail link needed surgery, not topical medicine, and He had a hole in his head before He had a hole in his head.
Anyhow it is a good gimpyrobb story.

Bighurt

And my GF get's mad I put dirty Sterlite bins in the shower, for cleaning...

Only Chris would put a drill press in the shower.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This old friend had a horse voice and long legs.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks