• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What do you do for seeing behind you?

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Several years ago before my MV ownership, I learned that I had my mirrors set wrong on my little truck, and have been a firm believer of the change ever since.

I had watched an informative video, kind of like this one (it was a better made video, but you get the idea):
http://youtu.be/2tDI4ThwdXg

In my deuce I've done similar with its "West Coast" mirrors, to move them out as described in the video to see beside the truck, and I also purchased those ~8" round convex spot mirrors to see a little more around the truck.

However, it's caused me some concern because I can't see my M105 in tow behind (it hides pretty well back there when the deuce is wearing its cargo cover, which is almost always now), and I wonder if a Police Officer was behind me (or any other Emergency vehicle) with flashing lights I wouldn't see them because I don't see DIRECTLY behind my deuce.

What do you do?
Install a rear-facing camera? Something else that I'm being overly dense to realize?

Thanks.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I recall reading a story about an older gentleman in California that "lead" Police on a "low speed" chase for over 10 miles because he didn't see them back there.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If there is an emergency vehicles behind you they are going to let you know it with flashing lights and sirens. They will pull out far enough for you to see them in the mirror and to see if they can pass you if the oncoming lane is clear. This is why I have a problem with people putting loud stereos or other devices that can mask the sound of emergency vehicles.

gunboy1656

On the road, I just keep checking my mirrors so that I know nothing is sneaking up behind me.

In a parking lot I make sure I park only where I can pull through.

At home when I do have to back up. I make sure the family is inside and check where I am headed.

With the cover on, I keep the very back rolled up so I can still look back through the window.

Gunzy

When I am driving, if I can see my M105 behind my M923 there is a problem that has caused the trailer to go sideways. There are guys that have rear view cameras but they are useless if you pull a trailer. I make big use of my side mirrors which are California mirrors with 8" rounds mounted just below them.

steelandcanvas

I'm going to echo Scott...I glance in the mirrors every few seconds so nothing sneaks up behind me. I have a set of bridge truck mirrors on my Deuce so I can see the just the tail end of my 105. I learned a good habit from my Dad when I was beginning to drive...especially when trailering. Look at the road, glance at your instruments, glance in the mirrors, continue this cycle as you drive. Of course in heavy traffic you'll be looking at the road a little longer, and mirrors and instruments a little less. When I adjust my mirrors, I have just a small bit of the left and right rear of the truck in view, it gives me a reference point as to where things are. It works for me.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I try to keep my mirrors out so I can barely see the truck and I have the spotters on mine as well.

On my pickup I have the Dodge foldouts and they are nice.

Jeepsinker

I have my west coast mirrors set where I can see the side of the truck on both sides if I lean over just a hair either way, and my spots adjusted where I can just see the side of the truck in the inside of it. It also helps to have the bottom fisheye mirrors on the bottom of your big mirrors. Helps with the blind spot by your tandems for short little rice burners that you might not see cruising either right there or up by your battery box.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On any big truck I have my mirrors set so with a little tilt of my head left I can see my rear rear tandem tire where it meets the ground. Same with the right head tilt I can see the tire and ground it is rideing on. People are so lazy they don't want to turn there heads when in a car and I get cut off when on the bike. Bike riders look for bikes first and then cars. Cagers look for cars not bikes.

Keith_J

Rear view camera on my M1031 SECM. While the display unit is holding up fine, the camera is the weak link, the case has cracked, I have repaired it with silicone sealant and a new lens.

But I have heard an active video display in drivers view is illegal. I have yet to even get stopped. I don't ever carry anything else that could be hooked to the display so they cannot get me on constructive intent. I would rather risk a judge than a tailgater.

FloridaAKM

After installing new mirrors, my field of view has improved...except for being able to see any trailer that I might want to pull. M1102's are the worst along with a M105A2.

Have a small bw camera now with a pair of IR backup lights (thanks to clintogf, dont know how many more she has so get them while they are in stock)The camera I have hooked up is IR sensative somewhat like night vision. also have a set mounted behind the grill on my M1028 for nightime stealth manauvers use another bw camera and a small monitor in the cab to keep an eye on things ahead.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I continuously check my mirrors so I can keep track of who's around me, kinda like an air traffic controller. I don't feel the need for a camera 99% of the time. The only time it's useful to me is when there's a crowd of people, and then I'd want to have a backer anyway. As for the narrow trailers, I'd affix some sort of flexible marker to make it visible in the rear view mirrors, kind of like the yellow springs the Humvees had on the right front corner.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most CDL drivers have the same problem as you. This is why you should never follow so close to any big truck that you can't see the mirrors of the truck you're following. As the sign on the back of some trailers say "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you".

Many years ago, my CDL tester told me I should look out both mirrors every 3-5 seconds. Now I admit I don't normally do it that often but it's a good idea to be constantly aware of what's going on behind you. That way you can tell when somebody is approaching you too close where you can't see them or they pull out to pass and get in your blind spot.

Now you could buy one of those cameras and mount in on the back of the truck. I wonder if it could just be a distraction to your driving down the road though trying to watch it and be even more dangerous. It should work well for slow moving and backing.

Last edited:

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks everyone.

My mirrors are set to see to my sides (the spot mirrors aren't viewing as far out - but the objects are too small/mirror too shaky to see behind me), so unless I lean over, I'm not seeing what is in the lane _behind_ me. I thought it'd be better to make it easy to see what is to the my sides and virtually eliminate side blind spots than to easily see those in the lane behind me thinking I'm going too slow. (Like m16ty said about following too close).

I feel better, guess I wasn't so far off base.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SITUATIONAL AWARENESS !

When I was taught to drive I was in and on the crowded streets and highways of New Jersey. In such congestion you need to be aware of everything, all the time. I was instructed to check my mirrors often - like every few seconds. I have never let down my guard. Mirrors were invented for a reason. Aiming them is our responsibility. CHECKING them often is the drivers job too ! ! !

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finally got around to watching the vid posted. That mirror setting may work ok in a small car with a rear view mirror but not so much in a big truck (such as I deuce or a 5-ton).

How are you going to back up safely if you can't see the sides of the truck. Backing a trailer would be even worse. I'd suggest setting you mirrors where you can see the side of the truck and get a convex mirror to see more beside the truck.

You really can't eliminate all the blind spots on a big truck. You just have to be aware of what's going on around you so you know when a vehicle enters your blind spot so you'll know it's there until you can see it again.

ageregunner

I leave my cargo cover on all the time, so I have no rear view mirror view as in a civilian vehicle. I am in the process of installing a rear view camera on my deuce. I have mounted the monitor on the vertical support between the two windshield glasses, centered just like a rear view mirror in a civilian vehicle. I have not yet completed the installation, but once it is done, I will start a thread with lots of photos. I will not power the rear view camera from the reverse action of the transmission, instead I will power it with a toggle switch on the dash, and I will use the camera system as my rear view mirror.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks