• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New guy new 5 ton Semper Fi

ethanc2141

Hey everyone names Ethan and am new to the site. I was in the Marine Corps from 02 to 10 and just picked up a broken 5 ton lol. I am trying to rebuild her and make her pretty to use in Veteran charity's here in Arizona. I'm hoping I can pick all of your brains to help me get her back to new. Any advise or help is much appreciated. Semper Fi

ethanc2141

Thanks brother I'm sure I'm going to be on here a bunch lol. She needs a lot of parts I think the transfer case took a crap ugh

Artisan

The TC can be a bugger to shift. be sure to read the -10 TM
and look for other threads and posts here where guys give tips
on how to get the TC to shift properly.

Pour over all the air lines and make sure they are all hooked up
and no leaks and be SURE to do a COLAS test or bring it to a
certified Air brake mechanic to test it for you.

The technical manuals are your friend...daunting they are but
once you get into them and try to remember what is where you
you will happy you took the time. The TM's are available in
the TM's section.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, and thanks for your service. I really appreciate it.

She looks really nice (both of them!).

Tornadogt

Welcome, again let us know what is up with the Transfer case... it is common to be difficult to get them in and out of high/low range. If it doesn't have a large crack and fluid all over the ground it is normally a pretty easy fix. I have an Extra tan soft top and the framework if your interested.

ethanc2141

wow the response is great you guys are outstanding. I am no stranger to a TM lol I was with AAV's(floating tank) in the Corps. As far as the transfer case i had it running and driving, made sure the transfer case was disengaged (or so I thought) while transporting it from Tucson, out of the blue the transfer case started smoking like crazy and the truck bound up while driving, both in drive and reverse. By the grace of god I had talked to a local 5 ton owner who came to my rescue. dropped the driveline and towed it for me. Now she sits in queencreek. I am trying to get it to another place so I can store and work on her since I am in the north valley

ethanc2141

tornadogt, I am interested on the cover I do need one unfortunately I bought it at auction under false pretenses. The decryption stated that it came with the roof and cover. After I bought it and drove down they were like "huh we don't know where the hard top is or the cover sorry". It was also missing the spare that it was supposed to have. Ugh

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the truck was binding up when moving it, it may have been the parking brake, located on the rear of the transfer case that was dragging. The transfer case may be OK. Had it happen to me one time.

ethanc2141

Once I get it to a place I can work on it I will check I have a bad feeling though lol. I am hoping they are not too expensive or to hard to rebuild.

Here is a stupid question. I have a 1989 BMY Harsco M923A2. I have been looking at all the TM's and am trying to figure out all the TM's I need that focus on my truck all the manuals I see are for like 806 trucks does anyone know which ones in need. Also how the heck do I post a thread on the main page. Sorry I'm new to forums lol

dawico

Once I get it to a place I can work on it I will check I have a bad feeling though lol. I am hoping they are not too expensive or to hard to rebuild.

Here is a stupid question. I have a 1989 BMY Harsco M923A2. I have been looking at all the TM's and am trying to figure out all the TM's I need that focus on my truck all the manuals I see are for like 806 trucks does anyone know which ones in need. Also how the heck do I post a thread on the main page. Sorry I'm new to forums lol
That truck is a m939 series. I have about 5 different sets of TMs downloaded for mine, maybe more. Some are here on site, others you have to get elsewhere.

smittyjr355

I have good used take out transfer cases if you need one. PM me if interested. Nice truck by the way!

dmetalmiki

tornadogt, I am interested on the cover I do need one unfortunately I bought it at auction under false pretenses. The decryption stated that it came with the roof and cover. After I bought it and drove down they were like "huh we don't know where the hard top is or the cover sorry". It was also missing the spare that it was supposed to have. Ugh
Welcome to the site hobby and freindships. From what I have read in previouse posts, I gathered that if equiptment or items shown before auction were missing at collection, then some recompense or action for the purchaser could be taken. Have you checked anything relating to this possibility yet?.
Also, just for my lack of ability to follow your posts, and the answers, Were you Towing this truck when smoke came out of the transfer? Or, were you actually driving it?. As someone else mentioned are you sure it was not a binding handbrake?.
It looks a nice truck. I hope any issues can be resolved without too much hassle. Keep us informed of issues discovered. The fix, and post pictures. good luck.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard :smile:

Find a bunk, stow your gear, and prepare to get underway :driver:

Your heart is in the right place ! We use our Deuce for Toys-For-Tots, Operation Finally Home, and other service related charity work; as well as many community and "church" type activities.

Be blessed in all you do.

John
SS Chaplain
:usafss:

ethanc2141

Thanks for the welcome I was driving it at the time. The hi/ low lever was to the floor. The transfer case started smoking bad lol then when I stopped it would bind and pop while trying to drive forward and in reverse I figure I shattered some gears in the transfer case. I hope it was somehow the hand brake lol. Much easer fix. As far as the auction reimbursement, I drove a ways to get it and when I arrived it was missing the parts. The guy there said well we can refund your money or you can take it as is. So I was caught in a rock and a hard place since I don't have a ton of cash and was doing this as a charity thing so I bit the bullet. And took it. He did say he would try and get me a roof and cover among other parts I need. But we will see if he keeps his word ugh

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks