• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

How to build a sway bar stabilizer?

Mark3395

I posted previously that I needed a couple of Stabilizer Bushings, part number 12378806 NSN 3120-01-457-9719, for the M1079 that I recovered a week ago or so. See figure 182 item 13 of the LMTV 9-2320-365-24P manual. We would probably call the stabilizer a "sway bar." The hoops that those bushings are mounted in are part of a forged frame... and the hoops aren't machined. The forging has draft toward the center... the center is smaller diameter than the ends of the ring.

The bushings consist of a steel tube molded within a rubber cylinder. My truck is totaling missing these items.

I've succeeded in getting a quote for new ones... about $700. For a pair, so it's not as bad as it sounded initially.

Considering the simplicity of the devices I'm thinking of getting some rubber sway bar stabilizers... disks of rubber with holes in them... and stacking a few up on tube to slip into the hoop. It appears that the disks need to be 2.5 to 3 inches in diameter. The disks I've found so far are for autos and too small.

So my question today is whether anybody has fabricated such devices, and who has larger disks.

Or a smarter idea like finding somebody with a couple bushings in a box somewhere.

ba1911

I had the same problem on my M-1078. I ended up having a buddy print a mold and poured my own bushings using casting urethane. They are holding up well. I would send you the 3D model if you have someone that can print one up. The urethane was from McMaster Carr part number 8644K24 one can would do both bushings.

BRob18E

I just wanted to thank everyone that responded and gave idea's. I purchased the big bushing thanks to you guys and I am pouring the two smaller bushings myself with your information. Veterans helping veterans, you can't get better than that. Thank you all again!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks