• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV exploration trucks?

roveroverme

Banned
Did someone here concert their LMTV to an overland truck? Maybe a LMTV with a van box? I was trying to get some ideas. Maybe there are some photo's?
Youtube and the search here didn't bring up anything conclusive.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read post #6 again guys.

If this was a WTB thread, it would be in the wanted section of the classifieds.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guys, I maybe wasn't clear enough. I am not looking for the LMTV to buy , I am looking for inspiration as to how to equip the box.
Spare parts... probably need to figure out how to carry at least one more spare tire. Don't forget the tools to use them, and you may not have slave power or air to work with.

If you are looking at going overseas, you need to figure out how to 'shrink' the shelter a bit probably, depends on where you're going and shipping requirements.

Foldable bunk beds, foldable table, toilet requirements, portable shower. Maybe a water tank and/or A/C unit on the roof or front of the box if it doesn't interfere with the spare. I'd look at addition of under the shelter stowage boxes plus an easier in/out method.

Google search terms... overland or overlanding rig might help. Are you looking for links to actual items? or just though processes?

jawcn

i just got a m1079 and want to convert it into a offroad camper. i am not much a DIY guy, so i will need to find a RV builder to help me finish the project :)

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Another place to get the work done are places that do horse trailer conversions, they are used to working,"inside the box"

turnkey

go to a RV place ..they can help you come up with ideas for working on it ....et a used M1079...Has the box on the back already...or cut the tongue and axles off a 14 foot camper...weld and bolt to back of truck...There all done..I used a 14 foot jayco...Add port Gen and there you go..

stunt man hans

i'm currently considering purchasing a 2008 bae brazos with a camper already attached to it. the camper part isn't what is concerning me as it is coming from a very reputable company who specializes in making this type of vehicle for extended remote use, what worries me is the chassis itself. the 12/24volt electrical system and the front air over hydraulic brakes and the full air in the rear both seem like they could confuse a lot of mechanics who never saw a truck like this before. that cat c7 engine with its huei pump issues and it's electrical gremlins that can be tricky to have repaired out on the road by normal shops seems like it might be a larger concern than i had first thought. i personally am NOT mechanically inclined at least to be working on a truck like this lol so let me make that known as well.

i'm buying the truck completed and it would cost a pretty penny if i decided to go this route. i'm just trying to probe some of you more experienced guys here abut possible issues i might be facing running this truck. we are staying in the usa and basically driving around for a year or so while we scout out a new location for our house. so the rig is going to be lived in full time once we start our journey and until we sell it on at the end.

i have been cruising around the fmtv threads on here just trying to find out some more info about the truck myself and i noticed some of y'all have taken these truck in when they where pretty rough and have since replaced or repaired a lot of its systems i'm just looking for a general idea on what to expect from this truck as far as reliability issues are concerned. as i can't and don't want to buy something that is unreliable as our house is effectively attached to it. thanks in advance hans

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hans, be aware that there is nearly no parts support for FMTVs or Brazos specific components. Cat and Allison can help with those parts, but otherwise it is a hodgepodge of a handful of vendors with a few parts and "ebay". Does this sound like a good plan for you? Older FMTVs are proving to be quite problematic, as threads on this site may indicate. I personally would lease a diesel pusher motorhome for what you want to do. Good luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks